Is my PIP too high / Scared to do anything — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is my PIP too high / Scared to do anything

Options
SmileyPaul
SmileyPaul Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello,

I have an unusual question I have been awarded the enhanced rate for both components of PIP for 5 years.
But reading through what I sent and what I recall at the face2face am not sure if its right.

I do over estimate my ability and hide/deny my disability.

In my form, I mentioned all the things I currently do and reading this back there are typos or where I could have been more detailed.  I remember talking about this at the Face2Face and explaining better the variability of my condition.

But reading the criteria, they placed me in for mobility I feel I can't live my life anymore, as it says
can't move more than 20 meters - but I can its just I over compensate and fall and get fatigued high level of pain.

Also
Need assistance from another person for washing and bathing

Need assistance from another person to dress/undress lower body - But for both, it is only when I have operation otherwise I just use a support aid. 

I said this at the face2face consultation.

Am confused and don't know if this is because it is something they think I do need but don't use, or it's because when considering reliability it is the only box I fit into.

The decision statement does say As your needs vary my decision is based on the help you need most days - I take it this is for both components as it doesn't say for daily or mobility

Am scared I might be pulled into for fraud, but I told them everything to the best of my knowledge including doctors print off report.
Am I just needless have worry and should just carry on because since the letter I've isolated myself and with work just sat and not moved - to the point people are worried about me.

Apologies for the length,
Smiley

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @SmileyPaul If you were honest about everything as you say you were than you have nothing to worry about. They also had your written data to go by. You were lucky as so many people tell them everything they need help with and don't get the level of PIP they should be entitled to. However I do know what you mean from my own experience of being afraid to be seen trying to do more than I've been assessed as being able to do. This is not your fault it's a fault of the whole benefit system that we have to be at our worst for the assessment and remain as bad as we can be or get worse for the rest of our lives otherwise we may lose the money we need to live on. The benefit should be to improve your quality of life and provided you still have the disability or illness which causes you to need help then I suggest you stop worrying and enjoy life as much as you can. Bearing in mind someone living on their own who doesn't get any help can be entitled to PIP the criteria is the help you need not the help you get. Risk of harm should you attempt to do something and then fall does come into it and other factors. I doubt very much, in a process where they're trying to take as many off benefit as they can, whether they'll have given you more than you're entitled to.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @SmileyPaul

And remember, you only have to be at your worst 50percent of the time to qualify for PIP points.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We all have coping mechanisms which we use to compensate and adapt. Many people only see us living as best we can and not how we could be, without our coping strategy. Assessments should be carried out on the "how we could be" aspect of our lives. As much as you hear about bad assessors, they are trained to see the truth of the situation even if they ignore it much of the time. Relax and enjoy the best life you can, it is only the scammers and layabouts that should be worried
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    It's how you are without pain. So, if you do walk 20 metres and only the first 2 metres isn't painful, it's reasonable to suggest that you can only walk 2 metres.
  • SmileyPaul
    SmileyPaul Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the info
    yes I believe I am over thinking this.

I've read through the information on the website and understand now why those descriptors have been chosen.
    From
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf#page77

I think this is right:
    1) If one descriptor applies more than 50% it is chosen 
    2) if two descriptors apply on more then 50% of the days choose the higher scorer
    e.g descriptor B applies 55% of time and descriptor E 5% as descriptor E has more points that's the one choosen
    3) If no single descriptor applies 50% but 2 or more do and add up to 50% choose the majority one
    eg descriptor B=15% descriptor c= 30% and descriptor E= 10% then descriptor C would be chosen

thanks
    smiley

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.