Pip assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assesment

Options
debs2011
debs2011 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have my pip assessment this Thursday , it should have been 2 weeks ago but they cancelled it on the morning because the assessor called in sick at short notice and they couldn't get anyone else. 
I told them I was not happy as I had already got my self worked up and now have to go through all this worry again for this week.
It's ok for some one assessing you to be sick yet we have to be scrutinised over how our illness affects us it's not fair.

I suffer with FIBROMYALGIA AND HURT EVERYWHERE 24/7 I'm worried they will want me to do certain things at this appointment and I'm in so much pain I don't want to be pulled about.

My anxiety is bad enough without havin g to go through all if this too.
I can't plan to go anywhere because I forget things with Fibro fog, and I really don't like being around a lot of people.

Every step I take I hurt regardless of how far I can/cannot walk but when you look ok how the heck can you make someone sat across a desk from you believe yo7 when you look ok..... 

Any advice for Thursday please as I'm beginning to panic over this which makes things worse. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They cannot make you do anything that would cause you pain or discomfort. As long as you give your reason for not doing a given asked action ie. touch your toes. they have to accept it. Do not be bullied into hurting yourself. You are the worlds best expert on you ! take this opportunity to teach the assessor about how your life is affected
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @debs2011 Is anyone going with you? Don't worry about the exercises the assessor will tell you you don't have to do anything that will cause you pain. You just say no I can't that would be too painful. Try to remember to say why you can't do it and what would happen if you did as just refusing without explanation isn't advised as then it looks like you are hiding your ability. Try to remember if you're on your own which things you managed to do so you can check your assessor's report to make sure there are no results for what you didn't do. Check the PIP descriptors if you haven't already as that will help you to answer the questions. Look out for trick questions that don't relate to your condition like what are your hobbies/social life as your ability will be assessed on these answers as well as straight forward questions. Good Luck. I'm sure other's will be along to help you as well..

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @debs2011

I have rheumatoid arthritis and my assessor only gave me a few, easy exercises.  Nevertheless (par for the course) she wrote in her report that I had quite a lot of strength because I could perform those short, easy exercises!  But the point is, given your condition, probably they'll only give you a few, easy exercises.  And, as others have said, they can't force you to do anything that would hurt so speak up.

Scope has a guide to PIP assessments - look under Support and information.  And below are links to the DWP PIP Assessment Handbook, which is about how assessments are supposed to be conducted.  And to the DWP Guide which is how assessments are conducted in reality!  Informal observation, trick questions, etc.

They will watch how you walk from the waiting area to interview room.  And some trick questions I recall being asked were about my hobbies (craft, etc would indicate a high level of manual dexterity).  And food preparation - do I ever not bother trying to prepare a simple meal from fresh ingredients and settle for a sandwich?  No, always persevere trying to chop and peel veg until forced to give up.  Settling for a sandwich would indicate ability to prepare a simple meal.  People have been refused points for food preparation because they said they could prepare themselves cereal or pot noodle!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519119/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.