Hip replacement and Arthritis and Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hip replacement and Arthritis and Fibromyalgia

Options
MIL
MIL Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi

I would like to ask for some advice I have mobility problems due to wide spread arthritis Fibromyalgia other long term health conditions and wondered if I had a hip replacement how would this effect my mobility as I am worried about the pain, the procedure, after effects and how it would effect my d.l.a
has anyone had one what was it like?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MIL.

Welcome to our online community & website I do hope that we can help you ???

We have got plenty of info on our home page that might be off help to you ???

There is also a number off Advisors which would be a good starting place !!!

Please please let me know if I can help you further with this ????
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @MIL,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I've moved this post into our Disabled People category, so other members of our community can offer support.

@ourvoices, can you help?
    Liam
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi
    My wife has widespread arthritis, osteo and rhematoid as well as lupus and fibro. She has had 1 elbow replaced 3 times and had hip replaced twice.
    Hip replacements improved her mobility greatly but recovery time has been up to 6 months. Depends on your age. Procedure is straight forward and hospital stay 2-3 days. She was awarded enhanced PIP both components earlier this year
    hope that helps  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ourvoices
    ourvoices Community member Posts: 47 Connected
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @LiamO_Dell,

I hope the reply I put together regarding a hip preplacement for @MIL has been received okay.

Let me know if I need to re-post it.

Thanks.

• Liam_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @ourvoices,

Sorry, but I don't think it's come through. Did you mean to post this comment in this discussion? 
    ourvoices said:

Hi Caz1980, I had a left hip replacement 2 years ago.  

My advice would be to talk to your surgeon and carefully consider all the options.  It is a major operation and everyone is different, so your outcome could be different to an able-bodied person, or even someone else with CP.

I have struggled to fully recover and have not regained my balance.  I have also experienced increased pain and spasms.  Although from a medical point of view my hip replacement was successful, my CP has been a major limiting factor in my recovery.

I have gone from being ambulant to using a wheelchair.

Good luck.

Liam
  • ourvoices
    Options

Hi @LiamO_Dell,

I have gremlins at this end.  I had written quite a lengthy reply and a message appeared saying it would be published after a moderator had reviewed the post.

I will trying again using a different PC.

Thanks.

• Liam_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @ourvoices,

Oh no, it sounds like it's been caught up in our moderation queue! No need to repost, I'll have a look in there and approve it for you. :)
    Liam
  • ourvoices
    Options

Hi @MIL,

From my own investigations, I know that hip replacements can be very effective in helping with pain from osteoarthritis.

Depending on your age and your general level of health and fitness, you will probably be offered either surgery under a general anaesthetic or an epidural (with sedation).

You might find the following information helpful: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hip-replacement/Pages/How-it-is-performed.aspx

Although it can all seem a little bit daunting, talk it through with your GP/Consultant and they will be happy to advise you.

There will be some pain and discomfort after the operation, but you will be offered medication to help with this.  Physiotherapists will also work alongside other  therapists to get you moving and back home as soon as possible.

You may also be offered an Enhanced Recovery Programme (if this is suitable for you): http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/enhanced-recovery/Pages/Introduction.aspx

When you get home, your normal movements will be restricted for between 6 and 12 weeks - you will have pain medication to help.  You will need help to begin with and short-term care will be arranged if there is no-one at home who can help you.  You will also be provided with some equipment to help (if you don't already have what you need at home).

The important things are: Speak to Health Care Professionals (GP, Consultant, Nurses, Physiotherapists etc.) to understand what will happen to you, before, during and after surgery.  Take pain medication.  Follow the advice of your physiotherapist and don't overdo things.

If you can arrange to sleep downstairs when you get home, with access to toilet and washing facilities, this will be a huge help until you can manage any steps/stairs safely.

DLA - you should inform the DWP if you are going into hospital for more than 4 weeks, this would be very unusual for a hip surgery - patients normally stay in hospital for between 4 and 10 days.

If your operation (hopefully) improves your pain and your mobility, this might affect the level of benefit you are entitled to under DLA or PIP - but it will be awhile before you will know what your long-term outcome will be. 

I hope this helps, good luck!

• MIL
    MIL Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and advice I will look at the website ourvoices has posted
    I have seen my surgeon today and will not be giving him my answer for another few months as I do not feel comfortable about my hip replacement just yet so will follow your advice and prepare myself x
  • ourvoices
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi @MIL,

Glad to hear that the advice has helped. Hip replacements are often very successful at relieving the pain of arthritis and it's great to see people regain their mobility (and freedom). 

The more prepared you are, the better - as it can really help with your recovery.

It might sound silly, but my husband would bring some of my favourite food into the hospital for me - and that used to make me feel better.

Plastic carrier bags are also fabulous things to sit on when you are going to need to turn yourself (e.g. to get out of a car seat, or a bed).  They help you glide.

Good luck with everything.

• CockneyRebel
    Options
    LOL I remember "test driving" different types of plastic bags for glidability when my wife had her hip done
  • ourvoices
    Options

@CockneyRebel which bags worked best?  I stood up a few times with one stuck to me.  I think the really thin ones (Sainsburys) are not so good for this job.

• CockneyRebel
    Options
    We found that the black bin liners worked best, the heavy duty one not the cheap ones

Brightness