Pets and Disability: How do your pets support you? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pets and Disability: How do your pets support you?

Options
Liam_Alumni
Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
Happy International Cat Day!

Today, we'd like to hear about your pets and the support they provide when it comes to living with a disability. What relationship do you have with your cats, dogs and so on? How comforting are they for you?

And if you haven't already, be sure to check out Bobbie's guest blog post about how her assistance dog Poppy supports her.

As for cats, I'm more of a dog person, personally. What about you?

Share your opinions and experiences with us below!
Liam

Comments

• redribbon_1
    redribbon_1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have 4 cats and we both have disabilities.  Hubby has a siezeure disorder so when we had one In bed the cat nelix (now deceased)  would lie with him then come and alert me.  He also kept me company on the heated blanket. We now have 3 new edition over past 7 months and they sit with us. One in particular is a big comfort at 17 weeks she's already sitting with me keeping Me company. She's the companion one who won't leave us. She also loves heated blanket. Just cats around help hubby stay calm and we are never alone  having 4. With OA fibromyalgia,  nead, and fnd between us our cats are a comfort and enhance our family my sons also love them.   
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, @redribbon_1 - it sounds like your cats are a big part of your family, which is great to hear. :)
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have two dogs, but my chihuahua Lemmy, we call my support dog as I got him at a time when I was very ill and things were a struggle, to this day, he knows when I am sad or having a hard time and comes and sits on my shoulders :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Options
    I did had dog call Darcy Russell shaw and I had put down on 24 August 2013  but never forget her I now got beautiful two cats Sydnee and Annabel has love them there help me move on and show me another animal too by bring dead frog in the mouth just like Darcy did at sign say she love me and Sydnee and Annabel my pets cats help going outside calm my panic attack down 

V.shaw
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5 Listener
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rainbow58
    rainbow58 Community member Posts: 80 Courageous
    Options
    i have had dogs since i stopped work in 1998 due to poor health.my first came from battersea dogs home and i was devastated when i lost him to cancer -xmas 2006,he was my best friend.i lost my second dog Buster two years ago -he suddenly went downhill and couldnt get up to eat-lay in one place .i now have Annie who is ten and suddenly became lame  one day and she has Arthritis in her right back leg and spondylosis,she cant walk far ,She is always here for me when i am feeling sad and feel like i cant carry on -she sits up in her bed looking at me and she washes my tears away.gives me a cuddle,i have Sasha too who hates m e being upset and runs off upstairs,i cannot cope with what is going on in my life right now-with PIP.doctors,Annie being poorly,no friends.my dogs are the only reason i get up in the morning .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5 Listener
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness