Statement of Reasons - how long does it take? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Statement of Reasons - how long does it take?

Lisa31777
Lisa31777 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I'm new on here
My mum went to first tier tribunal on 1st July. The appeal was upheld and they said she should have enhanced mobility.A couple of weeks later we got a letter about dwp asking for a statement of reasons . We have not heard anything since. My mum hasn't had any dla or pip since January!! How long does it take ???? Thx

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Lisa and welcome
    It is becoming common practice for the DWP to request a SOR, in most cases it is nothing to worry about. They have to find an error of law to take it any further.
    Ususally DWP take between 5-8 weeks before any payment is made
    please feel free to ask if you need any more help

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lisa31777
    Good evening & welcome to our website & online community !!!!
     I'm very sorry to hear about your mums PIPDLA claim.
    You can find a Benefits Advisor on our home page which y
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lisa31777
    Opps sorry I pressed the wrong button.
    Yes we have the Benefits Advisor & plenty of info on PIP's which may help you.
    Please let us know if I can help you further ???
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Lisa31777,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

Our Benefits Advisors wrote a very handy step-by-step explanation about SORs recently, which includes some useful information about timeframes and when you can expect to find out more about your claim.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions then please do get in touch.
    Liam
  • rosie55
    rosie55 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Hi 
    Mine took 4 weeks and I've 
    Phoned them today and they not received theirs as of yet .
    Depends on tribunal area you are in I suppose coz I dare say they are back logged with tribunals /sors etg .x

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Lisa31777

The above posts are right, it really depends on the judge and tribunal area as to how long it can take for full reason to be received. Generally though I would say it takes 4-6 weeks for reasons to be received.

If you have not heard anything after 6 weeks, which it sounds like you are coming up to I would telephone the Tribunal Service and enquire to whether there is  a delay.  You may find out that for example that the Tribunal are just waiting for the reasons to be typed up and checked by the judge, if not ask if they can email the Judge especially given that your mum is not being paid during this waiting period.
    If there continues to be a delay in the case e.g. nothing heard in 8-10 weeks without good reason e.g. the judge may be ill, I would then consider approaching your local MP. 

Please keep us posted

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• rosie55
    rosie55 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Took me two days to recieve my sor and a week for dwp to recieve theirs . next update will be either bad news saying they are appealing or good news saying they are paying x 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi Lisa31777,

Unfortunately this is how it works - if the DWP are considering appealing, they are allowed to suspend payment of the benefit. Unfortunately it does seem to be more common for them to do this even if there often isn't much chance of them finding an error of law (which is the only way they can appeal).

There are deadlines though - once the DWP get the statement of reasons, they have to apply for permission to appeal within one month. As rosie55 says, they have to let you know if they are doing this. And if they are not going to request permission to appeal, then they have to pay your mum!

Will

• Rach77
    Rach77 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Its been 4 weeks since dwp requested the Sor how long will it take

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's up to the Tribunal judge - no set time.  You can phone Tribunal Clerk and ask if the judge has signed the SOR yet.
  • Rach77
    I am waiting for the Sor from my pip tribunal dwp requested it. Its been 4 weeks how long do they usually tata to do it. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi all,

As previously advised above there is no set time for receipt of SOR and ROP. All you can do is keep calling Tribunals Service and enquiring. If it gets towards 10 weeks you could threaten a complaint I guess or contact your MP.

Lee

• Rach77
    OK thanks all I will lwave it another weew then ring up the courts... Has anyone experienced this at all.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Rach77,

As you can see above, some people have waited 3 months for a SOR. Unfortunately there isn't a time limit, and because the DWP are requesting them more often, the judges and the Tribunal Service staff have more work to do.

I think if it gets to 6 weeks then you might want to consider complaining. Here's the link. As Lee suggests, it might also be a good idea to contact your MP.  It would be useful for more MPs to be aware of what is happening with tribunal decisions and DWP delaying the pay out of benefit by requesting SOR.

Will

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.