Hi, my name is diddydaveuk! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is diddydaveuk!

diddydaveuk
diddydaveuk Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi my name is Dave, i have just turned 50 and suffer from chronic back and neck pain (due to spinal problems) and PTSD . I have been unable to work since having a nervous breakdown in 1989 and then developed my back problems in 2000. I do not get out as much as i should or like to as it takes so much out of me both physically and mentally.  
I recieve Employment Support Allowance at the support rate and also recieve Disability living allowance ( high rate mobility amd low rate care). I am currently waiting for a decision on PIP after having a medical assessment October 2016. I live with my parents who do what they can to help me !! One of my biggest worries is how i will cope once they are gone as they are 77 and 75 and botj have mild forms of cancer. Not only do i worry about coping with the emotional side of them dying the practical issues such as where i will live etc.
Sorry for the long post. I look forward to being part of this comunity!! 

{{{{{Hug}}}}}}}
Dave

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Dave and welcome
    No worries about long post, we are hear to listen and help when we can.
    Sorry to hear about your parents,  but there is no point freting about what will be. Just because you have chronic pain, don't write yourself off. I was in a similar position, 120mg morphine and 500mg pregabalin, paracetamol were my smarties plus other stuff.
    Then they put me on oxygen therapy 6 hours a day. I was thinking like a sick person, no time to get on with life, always pills or therapy to take. I had a light bulb moment. Now I think like a person who is sick, it doesn't rule my life. Just by changing the way you think can make a big difference , it did for me and now I get on with life as best I can  
     I am sure someone here will know more about housing than me and be able to give you some pointers.
    What sort of property do your parents have ? is it council ? private rented ? can you apply to get on the lease ?

Anyway I am glad you found your way here and hope we can help you with anything you need.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @diddydaveuk

A very big welcome to our website and online community.

Please please ask as many questions as you need we are all here to help & support each other.

Have a good look around where you will find lots of info & help.

Our home page is a great starter & please let us know if we can help you ???
  • diddydaveuk
    diddydaveuk Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hello Dave and welcome
    No worries about long post, we are hear to listen and help when we can.
    Sorry to hear about your parents,  but there is no point freting about what will be. Just because you have chronic pain, don't write yourself off. I was in a similar position, 120mg morphine and 500mg pregabalin, paracetamol were my smarties plus other stuff.
    Then they put me on oxygen therapy 6 hours a day. I was thinking like a sick person, no time to get on with life, always pills or therapy to take. I had a light bulb moment. Now I think like a person who is sick, it doesn't rule my life. Just by changing the way you think can make a big difference , it did for me and now I get on with life as best I can  
     I am sure someone here will know more about housing than me and be able to give you some pointers.
    What sort of property do your parents have ? is it council ? private rented ? can you apply to get on the lease ?

Anyway I am glad you found your way here and hope we can help you with anything you need.

CR
    Thanks!! It is so true that so much of how we cope is down to our way of thinking!! My current pain meds are Paracetamol and Gabapentin. Guess i am in a bit of a rut at the moment!! My PTSD can sometimes make it harder to cope with the physical problems.  What keeps me going at the moment is that i have coped with everything life has thrown at me do far so know i have the strength to deal with what might happen!! 

Brightness