What do you use the internet for? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you use the internet for?

Options
2»

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Dasiydo I know what you mean about so called 'free' apps. Paint is one of the most basic programs you can get, and has been free for many years. Plus as they do not plan to support it any more I would be surprised if they tried charging.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Options
    I hope you right because use making birthday card on computers Crouse I doing
    V.shaw
  • Geoark
    Options
    @Dasiydo you might be interested in this link: http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-painting-software

Some are easy to use, some are for experienced users.

I keep meaning to replace my graphics pad, but after a few years I have still not got round to it.

• Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Options
    I'm one of those prehistoric beasts who, until late last year, had managed to swerve the internet, as it had the tendency to trigger rage in me and I was always concerned that people could use it to gain an insight into my life. I dont have an internet connection, and thus only get to use the computer when at my sister's or daughter's houses, which I often am these days. I only started using it as I was forced to, by the dwp when I made my initial universal credit claim last November (worksearch history, proof that I was looking for work, etc.) I'd tried several groups/forums when I started out, but, while not wanting to cast aspersions on anyone, they always felt to me to be filled with people who werent very helpful, and were often the total opposite; before being directed to here, the amount of duff info and falsehood (often accompanied by wickedly grinning 'devil' emoticons when a fellow user was gleefully giving what they obviously felt was amusingly bad news) was crushing, especially for someone with my less-than-bubbly-outgoing-personality. I feel theres more real help here, and use it now just to come on here when I can, and to check my emails; just yesterday, I searched for what may be causing my dizziness and visual disturbances and ended up up in a panic state lol. It is obviously a great boon to those who are house or room bound but I use it very minimally. My children reckon that, by this time next year, I'll be totally addicted, but I cant see it, meself. More power to those of you who find it useful or helpful, though.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Interesting discussion, @Geoark. I'm on the Internet almost all the time!

If it's not for work, then I'm responding to emails, submitting university assignments, researching, talking to friends, watching YouTube videos, blogging or vlogging! 
    Liam
  • Geoark
    Options
    Hi @Barrylad1957

I was on the internet for a while before coming across forums, and was close to giving up on them when I found a couple of good ones. I find it easier to observe for a while, and check out some of the information given before giving it any credence. Good forums are the result of a lot of work behind the scenes, by staff and often moderators.

While looking up symptoms can be useful, it is better to leave the diagnosis to the professionals. You can often find the very worse cases, though often the causes are a lot less stressful. As I tend to avoid my doctor as much as I can having something to tell me I should have something looked at is useful.

As for how useful you may find it comes down to what you would like to get out of it and finding the right sites for you.

Brightness