What are your favourite hobbies? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are your favourite hobbies?

Liam_Alumni
Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
Over the next two weeks, we'll be having lots of posts going up on the community around the theme of hobbies. So today, we'd like to know: what do you like to get up to in your spare time?

I love a good book, TV show, or song to listen to when I have some time to spare. If not that, then I'll be writing up a post on my blog or having a play of my drum kit.

What about you? Let us know your hobbies in the comments below!
Liam

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Church bell ringing has been my main hobby for the last few years.Athough very restricted nowdays I do still manage To teach ringing. I also do DIY when able and recently developed an interest in playing and building Harps. I am working on my first one when I am able.
    Not so much a hobby, since claiming PIP for my self and a few other people, I try to learn as much as I can about the process and pass on what I have learnt  to other people caught up in the system.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Liam_Alumni
    What amazing hobbies, @CockneyRebel! It's nice to chat to a fellow musician - the harp is such a beautiful instrument, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing! :)
    Liam
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    That is partly what drew me to the harp, not only do they sound amazing, the shape is beautiful too. Recently found out it is possible to make a range of instruments from plastic plumbing pipe and fittings. Yet to try them but will post pics when I do.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Liam_Alumni
    That's such a kind hobby to have, @DannyMoore - thanks for sharing! As for learning to play the piano, you'll have to give me some tips! After I've mastered the drums, the keyboard/piano is next on my list, haha!
    Liam
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    I love reading books, cycling on bike, crafting and writing poems. 
    Most of my life was dedicated to studying science before  so I can say "I learnt the art of science but now aim to learn the science of art". :) 
    I like swimming (was good at my teenage age) 
    I aim to improve my writing skills and creativity. 
    I love nature, be with nature  and really miss lack of own garden. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Liam_Alumni
    It's great that you're a fellow poet and bookworm too, @iza! I have only just got back into reading over the summer now that I don't have coursework to focus on for a few weeks. As for writing poems, I haven't written any for a while, and should probably write one soon!

Is there a specific topic which you write poems about? :)
    Liam
  • Liam_Alumni
    Thanks for the tips, @DannyMoore! I'll have to get the keyboard out of the spare bedroom and give it a play sometime. :)
    Liam
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @LiamO_Dell,
    I mostly write in my native language but I created few in English too. My collages organised last month poetry workshop and she gave me the topic Nature to work with. 
    I wrote this little poem below. 

Nature 

Nature buys my soul for all, 

Universal’s wisdom comes in the role, 

Changed my life to zero point 

to be re-born. 

Trow me in water on the sunnies day and 

I will create the magnificent prey, 

where lots of love and kindness will stretch over again. 

I learnt to swim, I learnt to dive 

I can teach you  and show how. 

When I get out and dry, 

the sunshine’s hope will inspire all. 

Get me the time to touch the grass, 

The land will bloom, the peace will come, 

Relaxing me, relaxing you than 

spirit will bloom over the moon. 

I hope you like it. I am not professional nut enjoy to be challenged :) 

• Liam_Alumni
    This is wonderful, @iza - I love the imagery. Thanks so much for sharing! :smiley:

Liam
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  I like listening to music especially Northern Soul and Motown.  Well of course rock n roll especially today being the forty anniversary of Elvis passing on.  I was only a young lad a remember the day being of such sorrow.  I had been collecting Elvis stuff for about twenty years or more. One of my regrettable decisions in my life I had to sell the whole lot because of financial hardship.  Due also to personal issues as well.  All I have now is CDs of Elvis and Northern Soul Motown.  Being the Spiceman of course doing cooking .  On the Meditterrean diet for a lot of years.  Believing it is beneficial to some of my health issues  I have
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Liam_Alumni
    Wow, I do love a bit of soul and Motown now and again!

I do a radio show whilst at university and straight after me is a show all about 60s and 70s Soul, Northern Soul and Motown. I often catch a bit of it whilst I'm finishing up in the office and I do love a good boogie to some of the songs! :)
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    My hobbies are gardening in my allotment, crochet, music, movies and reading... All dependent on my body and fatigue! 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    My Hobie's going out for coffee club and volutar for Peep group in weekend I relex with my cats Sydnee and Annabel on my garden swing 
    V.shaw
  • nickymel
    nickymel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My hobbies are  making jewellery and lace making
  • tinaann
    tinaann Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I love growing orchids  and them of course cats I love cooking trying new recipes on my partner. 
  • waterbrook
    waterbrook Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I enjoy watching movies at the cinema with my Mum, TV, reading and I also volunteer with a charity and am involved with a range of church activities. I particularly enjoy being a lady who lunches..top of the menu: coffee and cake!
    Be blessed,
    Waterbrook
  • gj124
    gj124 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I go to the gym twice a week for guided exercise. The instructors at the gym help u to do whatever exercise u can
    I also go to wheelchair dance which is great fun.
  • LizzyKitten
    LizzyKitten Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I like to make cards and go out for a wonder in my wheelchair. I am learning how to swim so that I can kayak again, which I loved to do before I fell ill.

Brightness