Medical review for PIP was over a week ago - how long until the decision? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical review for PIP was over a week ago - how long until the decision?

2»

Comments

• gazza47
    gazza47 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi gazza47 

As usual, I agree with most of what has been said above!

Only 2 points to look out for (1) if your wife has no DLA/PIP award when your Carers is processed it will be knocked back, as this is a requirement for the benefit, however you were still right to put the claim in when you did, as if PIP is later awarded, you can go back and request a review of the decision, so don't be too alarmed if you get a Carer's decision that states 'refused as no award of PIP' or something to that effect (2) although local authorities have access to DWP notifications, it is a manual system (i.e. someone has to push a button to notify the LA, and the LA have to check it and input it) therefore it is frequently missed, so once the PIP/CA is processed, do get in tough with the Council to make sure your Council Tax (and Housing Benefit if you have any) are aware.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• gazza47
    Sorry I should've made it clearer when I posted... My wife is currently on standard pip that's she's been on for nearly a year and esa support group, which was upgraded a couple of months ago... When she went for her ESA medical she was advised by the assessor to contact DWP to have her PIP claim reviewed, as she clearly needs it....... So she did that and her her face to face two weeks ago, so we're currently still awaiting a decision on that.... As for my carers claim, I give up work to look after her 2 months ago and put in for carers straight away, but still awaiting that decision also...... So she's already on PIP otherwise I wouldn't have bothered making the claim
  • gazza47
    And if we do get awarded our respective claims I shall be contacting the council straight away, but as yet we don't need to as they are aware of our current financial situation
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi gazza47 - I don't have much to add to the wisdom of everyone who has posted, other than to say that it's a good idea to check, once everything is in payment, that you are getting the correct amounts of all the benefits you mention, as there is a lot of connection between ESA, PIP and Carer's Allowance and sometimes things get missed. You can use the benefits calculator part of this Scope website to check that what you are receiving is correct, or you can get back in touch with us on the Ask a Benefits Adviser forum, and we can do a benefit check for you. Also make sure that any award of Carer's Allowance is fully backdated.
    Regards,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• gazza47
    I will thanks Jayne, I'll know more when and if it comes through.... But I'm glad I joined here as its really useful, thanks again
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @gazza47 I would just like to say that the assessor should not have told you the report wouldn't be available till after the decision as it is sent to DWP straight after the assessment and is available anytime after that on request. It is up to DWP when it is sent to you as that's where it's sent from. The good news is your wife's award will be very much based on what the assessor recommended as the Decision Makers have no medical knowledge therefore most of the time if not all the time they go by the points the assessor has suggested. It would be interesting to know any statistics for how often the DM's disagree with the assessor. In my experience any question of disagreement involving strong medical evidence that contradicts the 1st assessor's opinion would result in the relevant evidence being sent back to be looked at by another HP and changed that way rather than the DM changing the award her/himself. However it does look as if your wife's claim will be decided on properly the first time without the need to appeal. Do let us know what happens.. 
  • gazza47
    The assessor did say she had nothing to worry about, and was more than satisfied with the evidence we had and the fact that my wife was in a wheelchair on the day as she finds it extremely difficult to even stand sometimes let alone walk....... But we're keeping our fingers crossed... I'm not the easiest of people to convince so I guess we'll see.... But I will keep you updated definitely, only been 2 weeks since the face to face so a bit more waiting yet
  • Myiphone6
    Myiphone6 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Sorry to chirp in but can I say I was told in June to move from DLA to pip phoned then received the forms sent them in they had to be in by 4th July had a medical assessment 9th October 26th octoOct received text we now have everything to make decision.we now in January even though I was told 6_8 wk after assessment can't understand i wrung up was told not on system yet. I can't understand this as I am still getting DLA paid even though I was told it was about stop in letter 7 month ago I'm thinking what is going on sick of phoning 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Myiphone6 said:
    Sorry to chirp in but can I say I was told in June to move from DLA to pip phoned then received the forms sent them in they had to be in by 4th July had a medical assessment 9th October 26th octoOct received text we now have everything to make decision.we now in January even though I was told 6_8 wk after assessment can't understand i wrung up was told not on system yet. I can't understand this as I am still getting DLA paid even though I was told it was about stop in letter 7 month ago I'm thinking what is going on sick of phoning 
    Your DLA will continue to be paid until a decision is made on the PIP. There's no timescales to decision, backlogs is just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. If your report was sent for audit then this can delay the decision even further.

If you live in the UK you can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Myiphone6
    Well we are now in Febuary had my assessment on 9th October recieved letter dated 26th we now have all we need.. I'm sick of phoning being told it's with DM 2nd one btw 4 month almost still getting my DLA but I'm sure you can understand this is a terrible long time.. they sent me the form in June had to be in by July so as you imagine February now is long. I am happy my DLA still getting paid. I am just posting to let people no who say they had assessment 3-6 week ago picture 16week may be more 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    ilovecats said:
    wildlife said:
    @gazza47 I would just like to say that the assessor should not have told you the report wouldn't be available till after the decision as it is sent to DWP straight after the assessment and is available anytime after that on request. It is up to DWP when it is sent to you as that's where it's sent from. The good news is your wife's award will be very much based on what the assessor recommended as the Decision Makers have no medical knowledge therefore most of the time if not all the time they go by the points the assessor has suggested. It would be interesting to know any statistics for how often the DM's disagree with the assessor. In my experience any question of disagreement involving strong medical evidence that contradicts the 1st assessor's opinion would result in the relevant evidence being sent back to be looked at by another HP and changed that way rather than the DM changing the award her/himself. However it does look as if your wife's claim will be decided on properly the first time without the need to appeal. Do let us know what happens.. 
    Spot on. Reports are audited, graded and then told to be amended if they have gone against medical evidence. This is often before it has reached the case manager.
    Thanks oh wise one, you have answered another question I have never managed to get an answer for. 
    Three assessments in my case over 5 years resulted in 0 points. An MR was applied for with a request that they re-look at the evidence submitted with the PIP2/review forms. Result the first two decisions were changed from 0 points to Enhanced Care & Mobility. Presumably the DWP referred the report back to ATOS and that is why there was a change.
    Maybe all three reports slipped through the net at audit stage and as such the DWP just rubbered stamped the recommendations. 
  • Myiphone6
    edited March 2019
    Well here's the strangest thing I have ever heard I applied for pip last June as my DLA was ending went for medical assessment in October received letter 2 week later saying they now have everything to make a decision on pip claim we now almost in March and gets a letter stating my DLA as been granted for another year from last week I am utter amazed as I was on DLA indefinitely and went through all the heartache of medicals stress and phone calls to now be told I am fine for another year my question is what has hapohapp to the pip medical and all revelant information regarding I find this strange I have been dreading every brown envelope I received but today there was 2 I thought is it I'm either got it or not but to receive this and btw an esa one at same time stating all my benefits are to stay they same.. wouldn't it of been easier to of said you got a lower rate or didn't get it all together. My only conckuscon is as it's almost a year that would be some bk pay to pay out if it was granted at high rate as you can imagine this is strange.. it just does not make sense at all the assessment lady told me with your health problems and your situation it would be normal to receive a 2 year award as your treatment changes often so I'm confused and can not get a answer that is in English on the phone 
  • poppy123456
    Myiphone6 said:
    Well here's the strangest thing I have ever heard I applied for pip last June as my DLA was ending went for medical assessment in October received letter 2 week later saying they now have everything to make a decision on pip claim we now almost in March and gets a letter stating my DLA as been granted for another year from last week I am utter amazed as I was on DLA indefinitely and went through all the heartache of medicals stress and phone calls to now be told I am fine for another year my question is what has hapohapp to the pip medical and all revelant information regarding I find this strange I have been dreading every brown envelope I received but today there was 2 I thought is it I'm either got it or not but to receive this and btw an esa one at same time stating all my benefits are to stay they same.. wouldn't it of been easier to of said you got a lower rate or didn't get it all together. My only conckuscon is as it's almost a year that would be some bk pay to pay out if it was granted at high rate as you can imagine this is strange 
    Are you sure you haven't misread what the letter says? I must admit i've never heard of this happening before. Indefinite DLA awards no longer exist for those that were 65 and under in April 2013 and as you started a claim for PIP then it must transfer across. I would ring them on Monday morning because your DLA could end without you realising.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Myiphone6
    edited March 2019
    Hi poppy I've double checked the letter and it says my DLA will now stay the same for another year from date stated and it includes what I am to be payed each week and that I will be asked at a later date to apply for pip I am gobsmacked to say the least.. I was awarded indefinitely in 1996 but last year was told my DLA was about to end to full in how disability effect you form and all that had home assessment first but my mum passed away so missed it had next one at a centre been dreading and dreading the answer as you probably know Xmas was terrible to now be told I'm ok for another year I am going to phone DLA mondayv
  • Mattkimclarke
    Mattkimclarke Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi all just had pip renew assessment at atos yesterday 01/03/19.  Do people get changed often at renew initial claim I wanted high mobility only got standard, but my find much worse now can hardly walk , assessment was ok really nice young lady but I don't suffer fools this system is so flawed. I'm not expecting any good news as it's pip.  Just wondering if people DO get different decided at renew.  Tia
  • poppy123456
    Hi all just had pip renew assessment at atos yesterday 01/03/19.  Do people get changed often at renew initial claim I wanted high mobility only got standard, but my find much worse now can hardly walk , assessment was ok really nice young lady but I don't suffer fools this system is so flawed. I'm not expecting any good news as it's pip.  Just wondering if people DO get different decided at renew.  Tia
    It will totally depend on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Some people whose conditions are worse are awarded higher, some not. Best thing to do is ring DWP at the end of next week to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
  • Mattkimclarke
    Mattkimclarke Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited March 2019
    Thanks so much @poppy123456.  Unfortunately my conditions lytic spondolythesis .Severe foraminal stenosis, costochondral us, depression have now bought my excisted to a halt the assessor was mental health nurse and fully understood the fight we all have for any kind of help in this area I just get MIND phone number to which I've been told I'm not depressed I have asked for ref back to outpatient care for mental health as I used to have and it's not done?. I just said just stay home , I can't mobiles freely as my back has deteriorated to such a point that I no longer am able to walk about to cook, clean anything my husband does it all.  So fed up with just excisted .  She said "on a good day" to which I replied I can remember a life without pain 20+ everyday is pain filled there are no good days.  My conditions are degenerative lifelong, I cannot have surgery as I also have blood disorders which mean the risks far outway the benefits and that's if it works as it's not guaranteed.  At 47 it's no life the fight we all constantly face with this system is horrendous and unfair. Original assessment was horrible assessor lied so much I gave 120 pages medical evidence, went to MR THEN COURT got standard mob even though observed stopped twice in approx 30ft corridor.  My report said clearly does not have depression as has clear compledcom and we'll kempt.  This time the lady was nice and did not even ask me to do the stand up physical exam for which I was grateful.  I know assessor can appear lovely but I really hope she is fair. Xxx my treatment is just meds now all that can be done Barr surgery 10hr op, . Has been I have no new evidence as nothing more can be done I'm stuck in system.  Just a person on meds left to it.xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.