DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

dladenistopip
dladenistopip Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Currently going through the dla to pip assessment! Been on high rate motablity and personal middle rate since 1992!!! Now have to go through this pip assessment! I receive esa support group as well as my dla claim begin for indefinite! Left leg is 3 inches shorter than the right got drop foot degenerative back disease and arthritis in many of my joints only about to walk with crunches a couple of meters in chronic pain been waiting from two knee replacements since 1992 I will never get better who can help me please

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dladenistopip welcome to the community. We have so many members who have been through PIP assessments so do get involved in the community and chat to others in a similar situation.

We also have a set of great videos about PIP that may be of help to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi dladenistopip - I agree with Sam that you can get great support from this community, and the PIP videos that are available to view here are really good. There is so much information available, and I would advise you to do your research fully before you go to your assessment. I understand that you are in the ESA support group, and it's very likely that some of the health and disability issues you have will secure you enough points for PIP BUT nothing in benefits world is guaranteed, and so you need to be confident that you will be able to score enough points to secure enhanced rate mobility and standard rate daily living components (and you will need at least 12 points for mobility and  8 - 11 points for daily living in order to do so.) The PIP scoring system is widely available, including on this website, and also on sites such as : www.turn2us.org.uk; the DWP's own PIP site:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-personal-independence-payment-pip-toolkit; Disability Rights UK: https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip and Benefits and Work; https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system. You might also want to think about gathering some medical evidence which supports your claim and confirms that you should score points under whichever activities apply to you. Try and take someone with you to the assessment if possible, and remember that everything is assessed, even how you get up from your chair in the waiting room! Preparation is the key to maximising your chances of a successful reassessment. Maybe also consider whether you might have enough points to be awarded the enhanced rate of daily living component?? Many people who have substantial disabilities and limitations are actually able to move from middle rate DLA care to enhanced rate daily living, so give it some thought, and post your outcome on the Ask a Benefits Adviser part of this website.
    Good luck,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Annabelle26
    Annabelle26 Scope Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    I am in the same situation. I have been on DLA  for years & was awarded it for life plus I am in the ESA Support Group  Various problems including short leg & in turned foot plus spinal problems, Arthritis & mental problems.  Was getting high rate mobility & low rate care component.  I had to apply for PIP.  I went for a F2F Assessment & the nurse found nothing wrong with me according to the Assessment Report & the DWP have used that & I do not qualify for PIP.  Apparently I walk normally & could do various exercises.  The report was a load of rubbish.  I am just preparing for a mandatory review.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck with your review @Annabelle26!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.