Should I be using a wheelchair or not? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I be using a wheelchair or not?

Options
callumchilled
callumchilled Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
I have what my neurologist calls, an 'undiagnosed neurological condition'. It affects me in lots of ways. 

Balance: I lose my balance easily and tend to fall over a lot
Memory: I forget silly things like my name, or date of birth
Concentration: Keeping focused on something like a TV programme
Migraines: Present as though I'm having a stroke, and my right side goes
Confusion: I get easily confused
Auditory: My brain tends to shut down when I'm in a noisy or busy environment

Because of these problems, my occupational therapist advised me to use a walking stick and a wheelchair, as I'd passed out in supermarkets quite a few times because of the noise, and that after walking a short way, my balance gets worse and worse and fall over. 

I always feel feel very self conscious in my wheelchair though, and once, a GP asked me what the hell was I doing with a walking stick? My psychiatrist, on first visiting him, asked what on earth was I doing in a wheelchair. But my psychologist said it was ok to use the wheelchair, because it enabled me to do more things. My neurologist didn't make any comment on either thing, and just said I was very wobbly on my feet. My CPN said it was far better to use the wheelchair and walking stick than end up in hospital with concussion. 

So so now I don't know where I stand? Pardon the pun. Am I ok using the wheelchair and walking stick? Or do I not use the wheelchair and walking stick?

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the Scope community
    To me thats of course use both. You could end up hurting yourself badly. Don't worry about what the wheelchair looks like it's not uncommon to see someone in a wheelchair.

If you'd like to speak to someone about this call or email:
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    Call our free helpline, 0808 800 3333

• callumchilled
    callumchilled Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Options
    Hi there,

thanks for your kind words. I get confused as to what the medical professionals tell me. 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @callumchilled.

I had my Stroke in 1998 at the age off 32 which took out my left side.

In 2005 I had more Brain Surgery (Radiation) which caused Chronic Pain all down my right side.

I no longer have a "Good Side" anymore !!!!

So I have used wheelchair's ever since in one form or another.

Yes I have had conflicting information from all quarters !!!!

I have never worried one bit as is my body & my illness that I live with every day 24/7.

If I did worry I'd never get out off my bed in the mornings.

Please let me know if I can help you further.
  • Casadog16
    Casadog16 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I have a 'multi faceted neurological condition' too. Which in other words they don't know what is causing the problems. I have recently had a neurophysiotherapist tell me I am not safe to walk and should use my wheelchair but then an orthopaedic consultant said 'we can put some braces on get up and walk'! 
    In the end I have to realistically do what I can do given the situation I am in and how I feel myself . I don't always get it right but that's life. 
    I am now hoping for an electronic chair, I think this is really 'hoping' as I doubt very much that the NHS will provide.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Unless you use a regular GP every time you see a new doctor and probably for a few times they will not know your problems and will not have read your notes. The most common excuse I get is that 'Your notes are too long to read'.

What you use is what gives you the most options. If anyone disagrees then either insist on them listening to a long reason as you explain it all or (if they are able to) to read your notes. If they don't like your reply or the options then say 'either you want to understand or you are an idiot'. After that probably just ignore them or ask for a different person to talk to.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The only opinion that matters is yours. If you need to use walkings sticks or  a wheelchair then do so. Nobody wants to be confined to a wheelchair so it is important that when and where you can, safely. walk then you should do so.
    Walking aids are not fashion accessories so don't worry about what you look like, If it helped me get around I would use a giant baby walker. 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness