assessment report from dwp — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

assessment report from dwp

gazza47
gazza47 Community member Posts: 76 Connected
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Ok my wife has received her assessment report from the DWP this morning, and the accessor has agreed with mostly everything my wife said in her application and on the day she was there..... Mainly to do with mobility, preparing food, washing and dressing as she needs supervision or aids for all of that, most of which I help her with or do myself anyway...... My question is, is this positive news, does it look good for my wife? As they said there would be no further need for a review for at least two years as she doesn't see my wife's condition improving before then

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope can you help?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You should be able to add up the recommended points which will indicate the level of award, usually the DM goes along with the recommendation.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • gazza47
    There aren't any points anywhere that we can see, which is a bit strange
  • gazza47
    I've checked again and there aren't any points showing, just a copy of the report and that's it
  • CockneyRebel
    That is strange. It does sound positive but wait for the decision letter before celebrating.
    Also look carefully at the award length on the letter, often a short award will be finite with a new claim to be made 14 weeks before end date.
  • gazza47
    well it does say another review won't be necessary for at least two years, not sure what that means though 
  • CockneyRebel
    edited August 2017
    When you get the decision letter it will give you more info. Depending on what award is given a review is given  because their oppinion is that either improvement or deterioration can be expected
  • gazza47
    The assessor said she doesn't see her condition improving in that time..... And is it worth ringing them to ask about the points or should we just leave it for now?
  • CockneyRebel
    Although you have the assessment report a decision may not have been made yet there is no harm in ringing to see if the decision has been made. The operator will be able to see on their screen if that is the case.
  • gazza47
    Ok cheers for that
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @gazza47 No there aren't any points on the assessor's report but you can work out what the assessor has recommended by comparing the places where the dots are under assessor's opinion to the PIP points system you can find online on Benefit and Works website as the wording should be the same. You can then add up the points to see if it's standard or higher rate. You need 8 points or 12 points respectively.  From what I was told by a Decision Maker from DWP they have to take the word of the assessor because they don't have any medical knowledge whatsoever. If there was any disagreement between the assessor and Decision Maker the relevant evidence that needs looking at again would be sent back to be reviewed by a different HP (assessor) rather than the DM changing it themselves. It would make a lot of difference to get some clarity so people didn't worry so much between getting the report and receiving the decision. The whole process is far too complicated and should be simplified so people know what's happening.
        Two years is a very short time scale for review. I understood they contact you a year before your review date for PIP, maybe the advisors could confirm this? Is the recommendation for 3 years with notification in 2 years or 2 years so you'll only have it for one year? At review the whole process is repeated so you might want to try and get this timescale made longer.  
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @gazza47,

It's best to wait for the decision as there is no real way of knowing for sure until then.
    I think it's positive that you've found the assessment report mostly accurate though. If there's anything in the report which isn't, make a note of it now in case your wife doesn't receive the decision she's expecting.

Let us know how things progress and post again if you need further advice.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • gazza47
    Ok she's just worked it out and by the looks of it she's scored 13 points for the living rate and 12 for mobility, is that good?
  • CockneyRebel
    That would give enhanced rate for both
  • gazza47
    edited August 2017
    The assessor has told the DWP to consider a review in 2 years, as she doesn't think her condition will improve, that's all i can tell you at this point..... so i guess we'll have to wait and see
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @gazza47 Sorry if I was jumping the gun a bit. As Debbie said best to wait for the decision. Do let us know how things work out for you. You had a good assessor by the sounds of it. 
  • gazza47
    No need to apologize, I appreciate all the advice I'm given on here, be pretty much lost without it...... I'll keep you all posted, thankyou
  • vectisgal1
    vectisgal1 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    It looks like it should be a good outcome!  From experience all the info you provided and the last gel of care you give for your wife it should be a yes for continuing benefits. 
  • gazza47
    edited August 2017
    Keeping our fingers crossed, but you never know with the DWP.... Thanks though

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.