This disabled student says she almost missed an exam because of a broken lift — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

This disabled student says she almost missed an exam because of a broken lift

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
"Elena Paolini, a 21-year-old student at the University of Westminster, almost missed a crucial exam because the lifts in the reception area of her university building were not working. She asked a member of staff to carry her wheelchair up the stairs while she was carried by her assistant, but says they refused. Instead, she had to rely on help from other students."

Read the full story here.

Tell us about your experiences, have you ever struggled with inaccessible buildings at school, college, university or work?
Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • htlcy
    htlcy Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    This is just so unacceptable, isn't it!? In my last place I worked on the top floor and relied on the lift most days. When this was out of order, it really put the day out of sorts. One of my students used a wheelchair, and actually got stuck in the lift once, and then couldn't use it for at least a week meaning she missed out on vital support and learning time. Extremely disappointing...I just think accessibility is such an afterthought, really, when it should be one of the first things to consider. 
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It's not quite what you were asking @Sam_Scope but I've had to drive away from the hospital without being seen because I couldn't get a disabled space. The main car park is too far away and not even surfaced :(

I'll always be heavily dependent on the hospital now. I usually arrive 20 mins early and hope to catch someone leaving.

I wrote to them and asked why there was no outdoor shuttle facility. Guess how interested they were?

If hospitals are inaccessible what hope is there?

I do manage to work but it's due to a unique set of circumstances that just happen to make the duties and location viable. :/
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I once had a interview for a placement.  A trial at a office. It was a long time ago but it still sticks in my memory.  Being told not available disabled parking and toilets at the work place .  Then told by the Boss of the company will not spend money on a ramp to the front of the building.  I just sat as he put every obstacle in the way for the placement.  Even said will have to use toilets on ground floor as the staff would object to me using the ones near the office.  I just could not believe the amount of drivel and tosh he was talking to me about.  Every discrimination rule in the book.  Any what did not end up working there.  Yet this still goes on.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness