LWCRA payment confusion (plus PIP) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LWCRA payment confusion (plus PIP)

Options
headachey
headachey Community member Posts: 33 Connected
I've been awarded LWCRA. Got the letter today, cried with relief cos the assessment had been so stressful I hated every second. The lady was lovely it's just hard and embarrassing talk about you know, still wrapping my head around it all myself (sorry for vuagness not ready to talk about what my issues are just wanted some advice on payment side of stuff please).

So can anyone tell when I'll start getting paid the LCWRA payment and if I'll be backdated? The letter just said it was awarded and I no long need to look for work or deal with the job centre calling me as much, that sorta stuff.

First fit note 01/06/22 - 30/08/22
Second fit note 31/08/22 - 29/11/22
Third fit note 30/11/22 - 27/02/23
Assessment was on 19/12/22
Award letter on UC account today 21/12/22
Usual UC payment date 31st of every month.

Wish I could understand PIP too but that's a whole other minefield, that was claim started 4th July, assessment by phone 28th Nov, told two weeks for decision letter but not receiced yet. So stressful trying to ring them and find out information, I'm too stressed to do that. Just got to wait I guess. But if anyone can answer my above question I'd be super grateful.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I infer that your UC assessment period is 25th to 24th of the month.

The waiting period is three months from when you report the health condition provided a Fit Note is provided within 7 days with continuous Fit Notes thereafter. Payment of the LCWRA element is paid from the first complete UC assessment period that starts on the end of or after that waiting period.

If you reported your health condition on 1st June then your waiting period for payment will be July to October and LCWRA will first be payable for October to November payable on 30th November which means that you are owed arrears of one month. The arrears will be paid separately to your normal payment - this may take a few weeks.

The LCWRA element should be included in your next payment for December but it may be too close to your statement date to pick this up. Check your statement as soon as you have access to it, if the LCWRA element is not shown raise a payment query in your journal.

If you reported your health condition on 24th May (or later) followed up by the Fit Note on 1st June that would being it forward one month.

All of the above assumes atet you are not claiming with a  partner who already receives LCWRA.

If you have had any earnings while claiming and have not already got a Work Allowance LCWRA status will mean that a Work Allowance is applied to your claim and that will reduce the earnings deduction so you will also be owed arrears because of this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • headachey
    headachey Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Quick update, I got the LWCRA amount added to this month's payment. Just awaiting letter and info regarding the backpayment. I'll update when that happens but I'm assuming the time of year will mean it'll be delayed some. Mostly in just glad to not be forced to work and have a little extra money for things I need.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Even under normal circumstances it can often take quite a few weeks for them to pay what is owed (1 month for you)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.