If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is bigrobfm! making an application for Attendance Allowance

Options
bigrobfm
bigrobfm Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited February 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello, I was just browsing the internet regarding making an application for Attendance Allowance and came upon your site! Its very comforting to know Im bot the only one with problems! I have actually applied, last week, and was told it could be 10 weeks before I hear back regarding a decision, no explanation as to why it will take so long! Is this normal?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @bigrobfm

Welcome to the community! I'm so glad you found us and feel comforted :)

As far as I am aware, that is normal considering Christmas opening times and the backlog from Royal Mail Strikes.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @bigrobfm and welcome, I'm glad you've joined the community today, and I hope we can support you. 

At the moment there's quite a large amount of backlogs in the DWP, which is leading to longer waiting times for those applying.

I'm afraid I can't guarantee exactly when you'll be hearing more about your application, but well done for getting it sent in, I know it's not the easiest process!

If you need a hand with anything in the meantime please ask, and feel free to take a look around the forum whenever you're ready :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At the moment there's long backlogs for AA decisions and they are currently take around 3 months, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bigrobfm
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and words of encouragement, I guess that I expect things to move faster as coming from a service background within the Printing Industry questions were asked if you hadnt sorted a problem out by the next day! I should know that local government or DWP don’t work like that!

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @bigrobfm. It is the very least you deserve. 

I can hear that it is frustrating to not experience the type of service you used to provide for others. It is unfortunate that it doesn't work the same.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • bigrobfm
    Options
    Hello all, thank you all for your positive words of encouragement and can only apologise for not getting back to you sooner, laid up with a virus over xmas and haven't thought too much about my application for Attendance Allowance! I did however receive a text on 29/12/22, telling me I will receive a decision within 8 weeks so, hopefully will know by the end of February, just in time to celebrate my birthday!
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    @bigrobfm keep a watch on your bank account. 

When my Attendance Allowance was first awarded the 1st payment was in the bank about a week before the letter arrived telling me about it.

Not sure why there are delays in making decisions on Attendance Allowance at the moment.   A year ago my decision took only a month.  I can only think that there has been in big increase in people claiming. 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can only think that there has been in big increase in people claiming. 
    My sister claimed CA at the end of December and was awarded within 5 days (even with the New Year Bank Holidays etc), one of her friends who has a severely disabled father applied in November and is still waiting. It’s shocking I agree.
  • bigrobfm
    Options
    I have one query, I have been told that as I phoned to claim and get the form in the post, my claim will be backdated to when I made that original claim which, was mid October 2022. Am I correct in thinking I will get a lump sum dated back to then or is it wishful thinking?
  • bg844
    Options
    bigrobfm said:
    I have one query, I have been told that as I phoned to claim and get the form in the post, my claim will be backdated to when I made that original claim which, was mid October 2022. Am I correct in thinking I will get a lump sum dated back to then or is it wishful thinking?
    You will yes.
  • bigrobfm
    Options
  • bigrobfm
    Options
    hello all, I happened to check my online banking and found I today received a lump sum of Attendance Allowance,no details and no idea when its backdated to or which rate of Allowance Im on, I assume I will receive a letter or email explaining this! Im just happy to receive the Attendance Allowance.I sent the form off in December although phoned for it in Mid October so its taken about 12 weeks from them receiving the form to me getting a payment! Phew!
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The form you were sent will have been date stamped with the date it was issued and a date (6 weeks later) by which you were expected to return it. If you returned it in time the AA award will start from the date the form was issued (provided you had the health difficulties for at least six months prior to that date).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bg844
    Options
    If you are claiming Pension Credit you may also be able to claim extra money too.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,636 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @bigrobfm

Thats great news a nice surprise in your account.
    I hope your doing well.

Take care ❤️
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @bigrobfm That's a great surprise! and wonderful you got Attendance Allowance :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

• bigrobfm
    Options
    I had another great surprise too, I live in self contained shelter 
    edmgousing and the housing association are very good in advice regarding finances and which benefits to apply for! I received a phone call from the finance advice lady who was delighted when I told ger avout the result for Attendance Allowance, she said “ah, now that you are on Attendance Allowance, you may be entitled to Pension credit!” I explained my disbelief in the benefits system as I had previously, a year ago, applied for that but was told my state pension took me over the maximum income allowed to be entitled to pension credit, so now I will have more income but because its not means tested I can get even more! I don’t understand!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    bigrobfm said:
    I had another great surprise too, I live in self contained shelter 
    edmgousing and the housing association are very good in advice regarding finances and which benefits to apply for! I received a phone call from the finance advice lady who was delighted when I told ger avout the result for Attendance Allowance, she said “ah, now that you are on Attendance Allowance, you may be entitled to Pension credit!” I explained my disbelief in the benefits system as I had previously, a year ago, applied for that but was told my state pension took me over the maximum income allowed to be entitled to pension credit, so now I will have more income but because its not means tested I can get even more! I don’t understand!

Do you live alone or with a partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    If you live alone because you receive AA (and if nobody claims a benefit for looking after you) your PC calculation now includes an extra amount called a Severe Disability Addition but the AA itself is not counted as income. SDA is a significant extra for eligible claimants.

If you then get some guarantee PC you are entitled to free dental care (if you can find an NHS dentist) and full Council Tax Reduction and (if applicable) maximum Housing Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
     now includes an extra amount called a Severe Disability Addition

Typo, it's Severe Disability Premium. (SDP) Of course you know this calcotti so it has to be a typo.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.