Holidaying — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holidaying

Options
JoOfVengerberg
JoOfVengerberg Scope Member Posts: 497 Pioneering
Hi friends. I'd like your input please. So I'm on Universal Credit, 29, living in a shared house (though hoping to get a council place soon due to a new diagnosis of fibromyalgia) and I am doing a PhD. My question is:

Is it OK to save for a relatively expensive treat while on benefits? I really desperately want to do something nice for myself on my 30th (June) as my 20s were difficult (PTSD, ED, the aforementioned fibro, etc.) and I just really want to celebrate being alive.

Would people think less of me if I saved and used my UC/student loan money to book a couple nights at an expensive hotel/spa? I've never done anything like this before, and my lovely friends say I deserve nice things, but is it the responsible, 'right' thing to be doing?

Thank you for reading. I'd love input from anyone who wants to engage!

:heart:
she/her, PhD student (disability fiction + cure), cerebral palsy + fibro
Tagged:

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Absolutely I know you are supposed to use your student loan for study materials. Also for universal credit as long as you are actively looking for jobs I don't see what the problem is.
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Absolutely I know you are supposed to use your student loan for study materials. Also for universal credit as long as you are actively looking for jobs I don't see what the problem is.
    I've been signed off with UC as 'unfit for work/work related activities' at the moment, so while still doing the PhD, I'm not job searching or anything like that.
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Ada said:
    As I always say but unfortunately not myself. Your a long time dead. And very little time to live. Your working hard at living despite your demons. 
    As long as your health isn’t put at risk because of saving. Then do it. Don’t end up like me. 
    I have very little time in front of me. And have Never done anything for me. Spent a lifetime of doing the right thing for everyone else. 
    I would love to have had a couple of days away. 

Try and do it before your new home and have other things to do with every penny. 

You deserve every happiness you can grab xx
    Thank you Ada. This honestly made me a bit teary. Big hugs for you  <3
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,831 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do as you please with it its nothing to do with anyone else how you spend your money. Go out and celebrate 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    You can do what you please with your money one note of caution savings over £6000 must be notified to UC and that will affect your benefits,savibgs over £16,000 and you lose all means tested benefits.
    Other than that have a good holiday when the time comes

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit-income-and-capital/Capital-Savings
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A holiday can be very beneficial to your health both physically and mentally so do what you want 

Your money your choice 

I am on holiday now and already thinking of planning next one fiance does pay for the holiday though 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Absolutely I know you are supposed to use your student loan for study materials.
    That's not correct. Like benefits, a student loan can be used for anything you want to spend it on. Both my son and daughter went to Uni and graduated and their student loan was used to live on, as is the case for most students, i'm sure.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    @Sandy_123 @woodbine @janer1967 @poppy123456 Thank you all! Very helpful and kind. Definitely won't be going into the £1000's thankfully!! Also re: uni money, my PhD is very light on materials as it's a creative writing one. I always have money left over even when I buy books I need (and sometimes I just borrow them instead!)
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    @JoOfVengerberg

Imo it's your money to do with what you wish. My eldest bought a car with his student loan.

My daughter in law took out a loan and went holiday with it.

Spoil yourself now when your young enough to enjoy it, that's my advice, basically grab every opportunity that your given spa days, holidays etc just do it. 

Make memories ✨

Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    Thank you @Binky1234 :heart: I really do want to enjoy life this year. I appreciate everyone's support, it's very kind.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Absolutely I know you are supposed to use your student loan for study materials.
    That's not correct. Like benefits, a student loan can be used for anything you want to spend it on. Both my son and daughter went to Uni and graduated and their student loan was used to live on, as is the case for most students, i'm sure.

I was told by a tutor you were supposed to use it on study materials. 
  • poppy123456
    Options

Then they are not correct. It's for everything, including living expenses such as rent/food/bills etc etc.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options

Then they are not correct. It's for everything, including living expenses such as rent/food/bills etc etc.
    i know that but I was told it wasn't meant for treats and stuff 
  • poppy123456
    Options

but I was told it wasn't meant for treats and stuff 

That's complete nonsense.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

i know that but I was told it wasn't meant for treats and stuff 
    Perhaps your tutor was trying to help you manage your money durhamjade x
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always have to remind myself that self care is very important and that has a cost.

As for student loans, part of the experience is to go to society events, mixers...etc and if you want to instead, spend that money celebrating your hard work at the end with a spa night, go for it! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JoOfVengerberg
    Options
    I always have to remind myself that self care is very important and that has a cost.

As for student loans, part of the experience is to go to society events, mixers...etc and if you want to instead, spend that money celebrating your hard work at the end with a spa night, go for it! 
    Thank you  <3
  • Sunny_D
    Sunny_D Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Hopefully you have completed your Phd successfully by now. This is for the benefit of anyone else that maybe at uni.  If a short break is what you need to enable you to cope with the strains of uni mentally, then it will be money well spent.  One of my sons struggled financially through uni because his father was extremely mean with money.  In some cases it could be what saves your life. 
  • bloominthedark
    bloominthedark Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    It's really important to take good care of yourself. Enjoy as much as you want! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.