If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving in with a partner on uc & disability

Options
bethany7811
bethany7811 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
Hi! I’m new here! 
I have been extremely stressed recently worrying about what will happen once me and my partner live together soon. So, I am on UC, PIP & LCWRA. My partner works full time and earns £1500 a month. I just want some advice on what will happen with my payments when we live together & an estimate of house much I would get. Any help is hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you live together you will need to report a change of circumstances on your journal and tell them you're now living with your partner. You will then be sent a linking code.
    Your partner will need to make a claim for UC their self and they will need to use the linking code that was sent to you to join both claims together.
    The changes will take place in the assessment period in which they were reported. If your PIP includes daily living part and your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then they can report being your carer and then your UC maximum entitlement will include the carers element.
    Your UC will be based on your joint circumstances. If either of you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you'll both be excluded from claiming.
    You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement or speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=9376028b-acfc-4516-9112-d4fbbd5448d1

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bethany7811
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you so much for your response, do you know if because of what my partner earns all of my UC will stop or just a certain amount? And does that include my PIP too? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Will you be claiming for help with any rent?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    bethany7811 said: And does that include my PIP too? 
    Your PIP is not affected at all. It is your benefit and is not means tested. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bethany7811
    Options
    We would like to but I’m not 100% sure if we will be able to get it because the landlord said we may not be able to get housing benefits (unsure why, this is my first home)
  • bethany7811
    Options
    @calcotti oh great that’s one weight off my back, thank you
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    We would like to but I’m not 100% sure if we will be able to get it because the landlord said we may not be able to get housing benefits (unsure why, this is my first home)
    If you were renting and claiming UC then help with rent would be included in the UC calculation. The maximum amount of help is the higher of the actual rent or the one bedroom Local Housing Allowance for a one bedroom property for the postcode.
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx

If claiming help with rent the first £344 of his earnings would be ignored and there is a deduction of 55% of the excess.
    So £1500 - £344 = £1156 x 55% = £635.80

UC would include the couple allowance £525.72, the LCWRA element £354.28 and the carer element £168.81 (if your PIP includes Daily Living) plus an amount for housing = maximum amount
    deduct the earnings deduction
    Anything left is the amount of UC payable.
    Above assumes there is no other income (PIP is ignored) and joint savings/capital are not over £6000.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bethany7811
    Options
    calcotti said:
    If you were renting and claiming UC then help with rent would be included in the UC calculation. The maximum amount of help is the higher of the actual rent or the one bedroom Local Housing Allowance for a one bedroom property for the postcode.
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx

If claiming help with rent the first £344 of his earnings would be ignored and there is a deduction of 55% of the excess.
    So £1500 - £344 = £1156 x 55% = £635.80

UC would include the couple allowance £525.72, the LCWRA element £354.28 and the carer element £168.81 (if your PIP includes Daily Living) plus an amount for housing = maximum amount
    deduct the earnings deduction
    Anything left is the amount of UC payable.
    Above assumes there is no other income (PIP is ignored) and joint savings/capital are not over £6000.
    Ohh okay I understand now! thank you so much!
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.