Hi, my name is Colleenc! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Colleenc!

Options
Colleenc
Colleenc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My husband is a mobility scooter user.  We are thinking of a holiday abroad but really don't know where to start with getting about in the airport, best disability friendly resorts and hotels.  Any advice would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.  We were considering Greece or Malta.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Colleenc welcome to the forum  Greece or Malta sound nice. I'm not sure about airport's, might be ideal to see a travel agent who will be able to tell you the best places. Or reading reviews on the places that you like the look of
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I have just been abroad you can get assistance at the airport who take you through fast track check in passport control and getting on and off plane 

I am wheelchair bound and it was fine 

Are you taking your own scooter I would recommend taking a wheelchair instead 

You can rent out scooter when you get there 

Having been to Malta and Greece before I wouldn't rats them that good for accessibility narrow pavements small entrances etc depends on mobility and if only using scooter for distance 

From all my research Spain is most accessible which is where I went 

Still some issues there but on the whole was good and plenty of adapted hotels to pick from 
  • Colleenc
    Colleenc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Colleenc

I can see you have had some brilliant advice above. It's unfortunately not my area of expertise but I wanted to comment as I read and thought "oo Greece or Malta". Which are you more leaning towards? Thinking of just getting some sun? or is there something you want to do at either location?

One bit of advice I got given as I was looking to go away within the next year and I have medical supplies. Was to write out just a small paragraph explaining my condition I had and medications / supplies I needed and having it translated. If you decided to go the route of renting a scooter, maybe get a translation just so they could help assess if a specific scooter would be better for your husbands needs and there is no miscommunication. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.