Is it New Year, New Me? Is it time to try and be “That Girl”? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it New Year, New Me? Is it time to try and be “That Girl”?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger

These are just a few thoughts that come to my mind every time an event like New Year’s comes around. I see the same thing printed across the media and social media. Are you being your best self? Is this the year you lose weight? Are you going for that career change? Will you learn something new this year?

I believe it is good to recognise when you need to make a change for your physical and / or mental wellbeing. And a New Year is sometimes that motivational starting point you need. But I am also very aware of the negativity people can fall into, of comparing themselves and comparing their progress.

So, I wanted to make this post and remind those who may start a new journey this year, of a few different things:

• Progress is progress. Just because someone may have achieved more in the same time frame, doesn’t diminish your own achievements.
  • Take your time. Don’t overload yourself.
  • Everyone is built differently. Set the goals, steps and time frame that works for you. Don’t set the same ones as a celebrity or influencer, because you feel expected to achieve the same.
  • Don’t criticise yourself or let anyone do the same.
  • Remember to rest, self-care is important.
  • Also remember that these goals you may set are either for positive changes and/or to have fun. If you are not happy, change the goal.
  • You can ask for help. I am now able to share my steps with my friend and we are motivating each other.
  • And most importantly, Be kind to yourself <3

What do you think about the whole New Year, New Me mantra? Is it something that motivates you? Something you take part in? or Do you think it’s a load of rubbish?

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Tagged:

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,894 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To be honest I think the best time for change is "right now". Not waiting for a new year. (Yes I am aware "right now" happens to be new year but you know what I mean :D )

I think people who wait for a new year, new month, new week or for Jupiter to align with Venus, are just looking for an excuse to put off the hard work they could be putting in now.

Just my opinion of course!! If someone waits for a new year and does achieve their goal, well done to them!!!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Haha, yes I get what you mean! I have had some people wait until the next week or month because it aligns with payday and sometimes you may need supplies or equipment to reach your goal. 

I think it can be daunting for people too, so they put it off because they are not mentally ready and don't want to admit that.

So, like you when they do achieve their goal I am so so happy for them! :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • RobthePoet
    RobthePoet Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope Sometimes it is society not the individual that needs to change
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Hannah - She / Her

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,467 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think New Year is a real bad time to consider making changes. In the past I have tried this and failed miserably. Either falling down on my expectations at some point, or procrastinating.

So this year decided to give it a break and try again next year. 

Last year my New Year resolution was not to make any resolutions - see what I mean?

On a more serious note, when aiming for big changes, like breaking bad habits or changing learned behaviour it is important to recognise that you are likely to stumble from time to time. As you said, be kind to yourself, shrug it off and carry on with the changes you want.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 568 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    To be honest I think the best time for change is "right now". Not waiting for a new year. (Yes I am aware "right now" happens to be new year but you know what I mean :D )

I think people who wait for a new year, new month, new week or for Jupiter to align with Venus, are just looking for an excuse to put off the hard work they could be putting in now.

Just my opinion of course!! If someone waits for a new year and does achieve their goal, well done to them!!!
    I agree with @66Mustang
    If you suddenly realise something needs to change in your life then that is the moment to set about it, because that is the moment you will be most powerfully motivated. If you don't take action the change you want to make becomes a normal part of your lifestyle, so motivation to change diminishes. On top of this, people do enjoy their bad habits like eating and drinking too much, or smoking, so they say the will quit their bad habit in the New Year, but when they wake up on New Years Day it is just another day because their emotional reliance and enjoyment of the habit hasn't changed. So they continue to overeat, drink and smoke.

There is a sage adage: "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.