Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Does anyone know if I can claim disability so I can rest my back?

van Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I have suffered with back pain for years. In the last 2 years I have suffered with chronic sciatica,  I've had MRI's and a nerve block injection which only lasted 3 months, I've been on nearly every pill and potion you could have. I'm currently on Gabapentin but it has stopped working as much as it did. I have spoken to a great surgeon who is going to give me an epidural this month. He told me I have spinal canal stenosis which he says, I was born special 😆 and I have ligamentum flavum hypertrophy... I am a carer working in a home and its getting too much. Does anyone know if I can claim disability so I can rest my back ? I'm uncomfortable constantly.  Thanks for listening x


  • LizLizard
    LizLizard Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    edited January 2023
    If you have a permanent job that isn't a zero hour contract you're looking at taking sick leave if you're too ill to work. If you're off for some time your employer will be able to reclaim some of your wages from central government but that doesn't affect you. What your fit note says you're able to do is up to the doctor who writes it.

    If your employer ends your temporary contract or reduces your hours (they can't decrease to below the number your contract says you get, but I know some people always work more than their contracted hours) the benefit you'll need to claim is Universal Credit. What they say you're able to do in return for it depends on their assessment of you. You can find guidance on whether they'll find you able to work or not but there's no way to be certain until you've been through the assessment.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 54,459 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @van you can claim pip and still work maybe have oc health referral to see if you need adaptions to help with your job
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    LizLizard said:. If you're off for some time your employer will be able to reclaim some of your wages from central government but that doesn't affect you.
    It is a long time since that was true. The cost of SSP, which the employer is legally required to pay, is born by the employer without support from government.

    OP, if you take sick leave your employer must pay you SSP as a minimum provided you have been earning more than £123/week. You should check to see your employment contract to see if there are any sick pay provisions in addition to SSP. SSP is paid for up 28 weeks.

    While receiving SSP you can also claim Universal Credit. If you have a partner your UC entitlement will be based on your joint circumstances. You are excluded if you have more than £16,000 of capital/savings. If claiming declare your health condition supported by Fit Note from your GP. You should be referred for a Work Capability Assessment (unless you are still being paid more than £152/week in which case you cannot be referred).

    A benefits calculator will give you an idea of what you will get.

    PIP is not related to work and is based on the difficulty you have carrying out various activities.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.