possibly retiring but not sure yet — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

possibly retiring but not sure yet

Options
bennyboy0751
bennyboy0751 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited February 2023 in Work and employment
This may sound a strange question i work in the NHS  but i just received a letter Saturday saying i turn 60  in April and can retire as that is the normal age for it withing the NHS but a massive but is id only get 360 a month pension would i be able to claim anything as i have no clue and dont know what to do as far as claims go would appreciate any guidence

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @bennyboy0751

I unfortunately don't have a huge knowledge base on benefits, but you can use a Benefit's Calculator, which will tell you if you are able to claim anything :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Bennyboy1928. Unfortunately as you'll be under state retirement age I believe the only options for you would be Universal Credit or if you have a health condition of disability which makes working more difficult then potentially New Style ESA.

It's hard to advise without more details but on Universal Credit you may be expected to look for work and your monthly pension from the NHS would be deducted from your Universal Credit amount. 

It would be worth you trying a benefit calculator as eligiblity would depend on other factors such as your savings, household circumstances et cetera. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,600 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck with whatever you choose. I would recommend retiring as you can see much more in retirement and you can always do some volunteering or go back to work if that's what you choose. Good luck with whatever you choose. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.