Help with council and housing

L3on
L3on Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi,
can anyone please point me in the right direction to get help with a housing problem?
Thank you

Comments

• L3on
    Hi,
    can anyone please point me in the right direction to get help with a housing problem?
    Thank you
    I've been trying to get on a housing list for over a year now but have got nowhere. I am registered Visually Impaired, receive higher rate PIP mobility, I live alone in a 3 bedroom house in a remote village that has no public transport but can't get any help.

Any advice please
  • L3on

Hi,

sorry to repeat this but it was in the wrong chatroom.
    can anyone please point me in the right direction to get help with a housing problem? I've been trying to get on a housing list for over a year now but have got nowhere. I am registered Visually Impaired, receive higher rate PIP mobility, I live alone in a 3 bedroom house in a remote village that has no public transport but can't get any help.

Any advice please
    Thank you

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,443 Championing
    Hi @leon_scope :) Thanks for joining us! It looks as though you've posted this in the housing and independent living category, which is the right place. If you do ever post in the wrong category in the future, don't worry too much, as we can always move it for you. 

It can unfortunately be quite difficult to access suitable housing. Are you trying to access social housing? Do you mind me asking what your current living situation is like?
  • L3on
    Hi, yes, I saw I'd posted in the wrong place after I'd posted ... in the wrong place! Sorry, 1st post and all.

I'm trying to move to literally anywhere that isn't here, whether it's private rented or social housing but I'm trapped as although I get PIP I don't have the income to cover monthly rent so estate agents won't rent to me. The council have been giving me the run around for over a year as I can't get a referral from my GP for housing which the council need despite me being registered disabled with the council!

The GP won't give me a referral as I'm currently in dispute with the Surgery over who owns my medical records. The Surgery Practice Manager has put in writing that I have no right to see my own medical records. A clinic I've been trying to access has requested my records multiple times in writing but still can't get them either.

My local MP wasn't interested.

This has already got as far as court proceedings where I had no representation and resulted in a financial mess that has left me on the verge of bankruptcy which comes to a head on the 12th of this month
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    Are you currently renting from social housing or privately renting?
  • L3on
    private
  • L3on
    I'll add that when I first moved to where I live nearly 7 years ago I was able to drive but my eyesight has deteriorated to the point I have had to stop driving. There is no regular bus service and the village where I live has no shops. The nearest shop/village post office is 2 miles away in the next village. I am VI. The only public transport available is a bookable bus service which isn't always available and takes an hour to the shops, and an hour back again. It also means I can't guarantee being able to make it to a job on time every day because of bus availability.  I am 100% reliant on Tesco for food delivery as they are the only supermarket willing to deliver where I am (12 miles to town). If they don't have it, neither do I. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    Then that's more difficult to move house. As a single person then your chances of being housed by socal housing are slim. There's no harm putting your name down on a housing list but if it's outside of the area you currently live then you'll likely need a connection to that area before they house you.
    You can refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local Authority and go from there.
    Other than that there's privately renting. If you need to claim for help with any rent then look at claiming Universal Credit (providing you're under state pension age) however, if you're claiming benefits it won't be easy to find a landlord that will accept you because a lot of LL's won't.