hi my name is Steve, moved in with partner, need benefits advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

hi my name is Steve, moved in with partner, need benefits advice

patchyboy
patchyboy Community member Posts: 21 Listener
my partner is disabled and as I have moved into her house dwp have stopped her esa 
what can we do to get by financially

Comments

• patchyboy
    Hello everyone
    I need some help with benefits 
    My partner is disabled I work and dwp have stopped her esa 
  • patchyboy
    Can anyone help us 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,772 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 6
    You haven't given enough of information for anyone to be able to advise you. Do you claim any benefits yourself and do you work?
    You can use a benefits caluclator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. Does your partner claim tax credits? If so then they will also need to report the changes to HMRC if they haven't already and the tax credits will end.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • patchyboy
    I do not claim any benefits as I do work full time 
  • patchyboy
    my partner Rebecca only gets her pip now as everything else has been stopped
  • poppy123456
    I edited my comment please have another read.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • patchyboy
    Rebecca does not claim anything 
  • patchyboy
    she is not sure what to do which is why I decided to reach out to people who have had same issues
  • poppy123456
    Then you'll need to use the benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. As you're living as a couple then you'll need to put both your details into it and entitlement will be based on your joint circumstances. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=cf09f7e8-4807-4cbd-b1e9-a19b30d6394b
    Does she claim any disability benefits such as PIP or DLA? Do you rent or own your home?

• patchyboy
    Rebecca gets pip and yes we rent 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,467 Disability Gamechanger
    Her PIP will not be affected, but any means tested benefits will include your income in the calculation. Has she ever claimed ESA ?
    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲
  • patchyboy
    yes she had esa until we informed dwp then it stopped instantly
  • poppy123456
    You need to use the benefits calculator. Was she claiming for help with the rent through housing benefit before you moved in? If so does she still claim that? If she does then she needs to report the changes to her local authority. 

• patchyboy
    already done change of details so we have to pay full rent council tax etc 
    is it really worth me going to work 
  • poppy123456
    patchyboy said:

is it really worth me going to work 
    That’s a question I can’t answer I’m afraid. Have you even used the benefits calculator yet? 
    If her PIP includes the daily living part the your UC will include the carers element if you care for her for at least 35 hours per week.
    If her ESA claim has closed then she will likely need to go through the work capability assessment process again. 
    First you need to start by using the benefits calculator.

• patchyboy
    OK we will do that ASAP 
    we just feel very alone in this 

• poppy123456
    How long ago did you move in with your partner? 
    Is their ESA claim suspended or closed? Do you know which group they were in? WRAG or Support Group? 
  • patchyboy
    I moved in christmas eve and esa is closed I believe 
    I don't know which group this is all very hard for me as I do not really know what to do 
    we will do the calculator though 
  • poppy123456
    It's a shame you both didn't get some advice before you moved in together. Had you done this if there was any entitlement then your partner could have claimed UC before you moved in, this way their ESA status wouldn't have moved across with them. So if they were in the Support Group then they would have been entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of her claim.
    As the ESA claim may have now closed i'm not 100% sure if their ESA status will move across with them, as it's been less than 1 month since you moved in and their ESA claim ending. Hopefully someone else will see this and know the answer to this.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds really difficult that you feel alone in this @patchyboy. Is there anything, in particular, that might help you to feel less alone in this?

I would like to reassure you that we are all here for you and listening to you. Though, I recognise that, unfortunately, doesn't always make you feel less alone. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.