PIP phone calls — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP phone calls

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,854 Disability Gamechanger
I have read a couple of threads recently from people saying that without notice they received a phone call to have a "short" PIP assessment.

While I am now able to use the phone a little bit after doing some work on the issue, I still find it difficult. Specifically, I can't answer a phone call without previous warning. I won't go into why as it doesn't matter for this question but I need to either initiate the call myself, or if this is not possible, can only answer a call if I have prior notice that I will be receiving the call at an exact time.

If I do miss a phone call regarding a "short" PIP assessment, what happens? Do they try again, or would they god forbid cancel my claim, or - and this would be most preferable in my situation - would I receive a letter telling me I have a full assessment coming up at a certain time?

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The phone calls without notice are quite rare to be honest. As the majority of people have assessments if it’s by phone you will receive notice prior to this. 

However the only issue is that even with notice you will be given a timescale between two times of when you will be called. For example between 9-11am but even then they don’t always ring within that time, they can be late especially if there’s an assessment before you. 

If an assessment is needed and you find phone calls difficult you can ask for a face to face assessment at an assessment centre. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks very much @poppy123456 I really appreciate the advice. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Around 7 months after putting in my PIP review forms and hearing almost nothing out of the blue I got a message on my mobile that someone from the DWP had called half an hour later they called back, the call was to do a review and it took around 15 minutes and my award stayed the same but this time "because of my age" was for ten years.

But @66Mustang I appreciate that wouldn't be as easy for you and I would advise that when you get a review you make it clear a phone assessment would be a problem for you and why.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine for the tips.

Glad to hear you got a good length award. :)
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 757 Pioneering
    Options
    30th December 4.30pm - phonecall from Unknown Number ... was a PIP DM wanting to clarify a couple of things to "save me going for a Face2Face".  

Ten minutes later he was happy to change my Daily Living to Enhanced, Mobility staying the same and he was backdating my review to May last year.

Glad I answered an Unknown as I don't usually.

Had a letter today confirming everything/ including back pay amount  and an award of 4 years

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,445 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang

Hi I had my telephone assessment on Thursday past I had a txt and letter beforehand saying my call would be at 8.40, but could be upto 30 minutes after that. I had my call at 8.50 and it lasted an hr, I hope this helps,

Take care ❤️
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    I actually got a call from Independent Assessment Services the day before telling me that I would get a call tomorrow from the Assessor, the time, it might be late. I asked her about recording it, she said advised 'doing it yourself'. Fortunately I remember I needed to gain permission from the Assessor, which I did.   
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you @66Mustang :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • wonkydonkey28
    wonkydonkey28 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi all. I was due a pip tel call assesment, got a call day before to say time of call name of the lady was i still ok to go ahead with the call, have any new medication with me ect confirmed yes i was fine to go ahead with the call, then next day time of call came no phonecall although they did say it could be late upto 30 mins and would be private number. then an 0800 number called me and i was going to just reject the call as i was expecting withheld number but luckily i answer and the person said unfortunatley i cant have my assesment now and they re arraged it for afew weeks time with someone else. Is this happen to anyon e else ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi all. I was due a pip tel call assesment, got a call day before to say time of call name of the lady was i still ok to go ahead with the call, have any new medication with me ect confirmed yes i was fine to go ahead with the call, then next day time of call came no phonecall although they did say it could be late upto 30 mins and would be private number. then an 0800 number called me and i was going to just reject the call as i was expecting withheld number but luckily i answer and the person said unfortunatley i cant have my assesment now and they re arraged it for afew weeks time with someone else. Is this happen to anyon e else ?

Yes, it does happen sometimes. Sometimes an assessor maybe off sick or something, which can happen. Luckily it was a telephone assessment and you weren't on your way to the assessment centre. This happened to me quite a few years ago and i was almost at the centre when i received the call.

Hopefully the next one will go ahead as planned.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.