Hi, my name is Janoula! PIP renewal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Janoula! PIP renewal

Options
Janoula
Janoula Community member Posts: 21 Listener
edited January 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I sent in my renewal Oct 2021. I got a reminder asking for it too, but I assured them it was sent recorded delivry. A few days later they got it. I lost my job in 2018, retired early, due to the condition (scoliosis). I didn't claim benefits, I lived off my savings as having worked since 15 I found it hard to try to claim unemployment when I knew my condition was not condusive with working or I would have stayed in the job I had been doing for 8 years! I eventually reached State Pension Age June 2022 I last called the PIP folk late last year regarding upgrading mymedication I now take. She said I was down for an appraisal? I asked when and she said she didn't know ! I keep getting texts, last one was End Oct saying they still had my form and I would still get PIP until they reviewed it. How on earth can they take this long. My scoliosis has worsened since I was first diagnosed at age 23, to the date when I first claimed PIP (can't remember date offhand but about ten years ago). How can they think I have got better? I have a double S shaped bend up and down, and front to back. Its very frightening to think they may stop it for some reason, when in fact I need more help. I had a shoulder operation in September and before that I had to take the dogs out more often so I could save up to pay for dog walker for 4 months minimum full time ! Now I try to do most of it though it kills me each day, but thats not the dogs fault. But I now need to save up for my feet which I can't get to properly and are in a bad state, but I just dare not spend money when I know I need the support of dog walker at moments notice. Hubby is over state pension age and helps me as much as he can, but now he has arthritis and spinal stenosis, so its like the blind leading the blind, but he can't get any PIP as over SP age. We are really struggling, managing, but the stress of this continued delay is incredible. So many things we need to get done in the house and garden which we are unable to do now, yet we daren't get quotes or start any work as we can't pay on our basic pensions. Sorry to rant on, but I would have thought a progressive spinal condition would automatically get renewed ! I have now been told by spinal surgeon that the neck disc that needed repair, and the spinal condition where the operation failed, but managed to give me nerve damaged foot, is not viable for further operations unless absolutely necessary due to riskof paralysis etc. So fed up

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,403 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's long delays with review decisions and you're not the only person to have been waiting for over a year. We have a few other members that have been waiting longer than that.

Since Covid there's been a huge amount of more people starting a PIP claim so they've been concentrating on those for more than 2 years. You were informed correctly that your current PIP award will continue until a decision made on your review. Another assessment is most likely because most people have them, this can either be by telephone, video call or face to face at an assessment centre. Once an appointment becomes available you'll be contacted.

Regarding your husband, as he's over state penson age has he looked at claiming Attendance Allowance? There's no mobility part with it and most claims don't need any assessment. If he struggles with his health and daily tasks then he should look at claiming. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/

There's also Pension Credit, which is means tested, i don't know your joint circumstances so it's not possible to advice but i'd advise you to use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

Does your current PIP award include the daily living part? If so and your husband looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then he can claim carers allowance (providing no one else claims this or carers element of Universal Credit) for looking after you. If his state pension is more than £69.70/week he won't be paid carers allowance but he'll have an underlying entitlement to it which could increase entitlement to Pension Credit or you could be entitled to it for the first time.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Janoula and welcome to the community, thank you for taking the time to reach out today. Everyone here is very friendly and welcoming so there's so need to worry about having a rant.

Indeed, quite a few of our members also live with spinal conditions too, so you've come to the right place. 

Just so I understand fully, what stage are you at with your PIP claim? Are you currently receiving PIP payments?

Sometimes it does feel frustrating when you have a long-term or chronic condition which will stay the same or get worse, and it's down to be reviewed and assessed. It doesn't seem especially fair, given how stressful the process is. 

Have you spoken to anyone, like your GP, about the impact this is having on your mental health, as well as your physical health? Speak to them about whether IAPT therapy services might be right for you?

You're welcome to explore the forum, you can visit our categories to chat with members going through similar things, or with similar lived experiences. Just ask if you need a hand with anything :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Janoula
    Options
    Hello @Janoula and welcome to the community, thank you for taking the time to reach out today. Everyone here is very friendly and welcoming so there's so need to worry about having a rant.

Indeed, quite a few of our members also live with spinal conditions too, so you've come to the right place. 

Just so I understand fully, what stage are you at with your PIP claim? Are you currently receiving PIP payments?

Sometimes it does feel frustrating when you have a long-term or chronic condition which will stay the same or get worse, and it's down to be reviewed and assessed. It doesn't seem especially fair, given how stressful the process is. 

Have you spoken to anyone, like your GP, about the impact this is having on your mental health, as well as your physical health? Speak to them about whether IAPT therapy services might be right for you?

You're welcome to explore the forum, you can visit our categories to chat with members going through similar things, or with similar lived experiences. Just ask if you need a hand with anything :)

Hi, I have had PIP for 10 years, got it whilst still working as my condition was deteriorating so much. So this is the review, I guess, before I got to SP age, but is now much later !
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,571 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Janoula said:

Hi, I have had PIP for 10 years, got it whilst still working as my condition was deteriorating so much. So this is the review, I guess, before I got to SP age, but is now much later !
    I'm pleased you managed to get PIP whilst working that gives me hope. 
  • Janoula
    Options
    There's long delays with review decisions and you're not the only person to have been waiting for over a year. We have a few other members that have been waiting longer than that.

Since Covid there's been a huge amount of more people starting a PIP claim so they've been concentrating on those for more than 2 years. You were informed correctly that your current PIP award will continue until a decision made on your review. Another assessment is most likely because most people have them, this can either be by telephone, video call or face to face at an assessment centre. Once an appointment becomes available you'll be contacted.

Regarding your husband, as he's over state penson age has he looked at claiming Attendance Allowance? There's no mobility part with it and most claims don't need any assessment. If he struggles with his health and daily tasks then he should look at claiming. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/

There's also Pension Credit, which is means tested, i don't know your joint circumstances so it's not possible to advice but i'd advise you to use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

Does your current PIP award include the daily living part? If so and your husband looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then he can claim carers allowance (providing no one else claims this or carers element of Universal Credit) for looking after you. If his state pension is more than £69.70/week he won't be paid carers allowance but he'll have an underlying entitlement to it which could increase entitlement to Pension Credit or you could be entitled to it for the first time.

Thank you. I realise there are many in same situation, which is why I joined after reading some of the comments. We did have pension credit whilst I was not working due to being retired due toill health, and living off savings. But once I got my state pension that stopped, as did the council tax help, dentist costs etc so actually we are worse off now, but can't do anything about that, even though we now have no savings. Thank you for your comment
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,571 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Janoula said:

Thank you. I realise there are many in same situation, which is why I joined after reading some of the comments. We did have pension credit whilst I was not working due to being retired due toill health, and living off savings. But once I got my state pension that stopped, as did the council tax help, dentist costs etc so actually we are worse off now, but can't do anything about that, even though we now have no savings. Thank you for your comment
    Your welcome 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Janoula said:
    Thanks for clarifying @Janoula that's helpful :) I hope the review process is a smoother one by comparison, as Poppy mentioned unfortunately there can be quite a wait. 

If you need support with anything PIP/benefit related while waiting, or just want somewhere to chat, the community is here for you!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Janoula
    Options
    Janoula said:
    Thanks for clarifying @Janoula that's helpful :) I hope the review process is a smoother one by comparison, as Poppy mentioned unfortunately there can be quite a wait. 

If you need support with anything PIP/benefit related while waiting, or just want somewhere to chat, the community is here for you!

Thank you.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Janoula. How are you feeling about everything today?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Janoula
    Options
    A bit down just because there is so much we need to pay for additional help and I just dare not go ahead with this hanging over me, despite being worse than when first assessed ! Its psychological I know, but I have always been anxious and a worrier ! Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

• Janoula
    Options
    You are welcome @Janoula. How are you feeling about everything today?  :)

So today I got THE letter, I have to have a telephone assessment. My anxiety levels are sky high now. And after speaking with a friend who used to work for DWP I am told the telephone assessors work on like a commission, so for each one they recommend decline further pip they get rewarded. I have also been advised to record the call myself and have someone with me. It all sounds very daunting and as someone who has worked all her life and not claimed anything except PIP it is scarey to think they will try to trick me somehow and therefore put me into a much worse situation as I won't be able to afford any help towards my extra costs etc. Really upset
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most people have assessment and don't listen to all you hear about assessors getting bonus they don't make the decision they just gather more information for the dwp to make the decision 

Your own evidence and what you put on your form is the area you need to concentrate on 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oh dear, whoever told you the assessors get commission for every claimant they recommend are refused isn’t correct at all. 

You can record the assessment but you must tell the assessor before the assessment that you will be recording it. They can refuse if they want to. If this happens you will need to wait for another appointment. 

Once the report is returned to DWP a decision can take up to 12 weeks. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Janoula
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Most people have assessment and don't listen to all you hear about assessors getting bonus they don't make the decision they just gather more information for the dwp to make the decision 

Your own evidence and what you put on your form is the area you need to concentrate on 

I was told they lie about your answers, the recording they make is not used etc. Its all so worrying when all I want is my basic low pip to continue getting the help I need. I feel like I am on trial for having this condition.
  • Janoula
    Options
    janer1967 said:

I am trying, but this has put me into a great state of anxiety. I am not someone who gives up easily, so I often do things that make my condition so much worse, but I am sure all will agree, if you suddenly decide something needs cleaning or whatever in the house you do it whatever as a compulsion and rue the consquences later !

• poppy123456
    Options
    The assessment isn’t there for them to write what you said verbatim. It’s for them to gather more evidence to support your claim. 
    They then write the report, which is their opinion based on everything you wrote in the form, any extra evidence you sent and what you said during the assessment. 
    It’s perfectly normal to feel this way before, during and after an assessment. 
  • Janoula
    Options
    May I ask, is it better to have someone with you, i.e. hubby, or not? It would give me perhaps a bit of support, but his memory is as bad as mine !

• poppy123456
    Options
    It's entirely your decision whether you have someone with you during the assessment. If they are ringing a mobile you can put it on loud speaker.
  • Janoula
    Options
    I had my phone call, no idea how it went really, she was not that 'kind' . I notice now that my doctors have got a PIP report which has been allocated to a doctor, is that normal? And, I asked for a recording. It did not arrive 24 hrs later, called on phone and told it would be anytime soon it can take a bit longer. Has it arrived today, 48 hrs later, no! Talk about putting you into a state of worry. I wouldn't mind, but as the only thing I have claimed in my whole life and because its true that I need help, I know someone (no longer in contact) who 7 years ago walked better than me, got FULL pip in form of a car, her husband had never worked, and as far as I know they still get all this. It seems the genuine ones are easier to intimidate in my view anyway.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Janoula said:
     I know someone (no longer in contact) who 7 years ago walked better than me, got FULL pip in form of a car,
    Mobility part of PIP isn't just for those who are unable to walk. Those with mental health issues can also claim the mobility part, so yes they may well be able to walk without any issues.

Not sure what you mean by "got full PIP in form of a car." Those that are awarded Enhanced mobility PIP can exchange their PIP mobility payment for vehicle by joining the motability scheme. If they have a daily living award then payments for that will be paid every 4 weeks.

Janoula said:
    her husband had never worked, and as far as I know they still get all this. It seems the genuine ones are easier to intimidate in my view anyway.

Working has nothing to do with entitlement to PIP. People can claim PIP and work. Very few people claim PIP fraudulently.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.