If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Fran65!

Options
Fran65
Fran65 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi everyone I'm new to the site and I am a carer for my disabled partner. I was sent a work capability from university credit after having a online assessment I ask for a mandatory review due to caring for my partner and I'm in the process of a appeal. Have any of you been classed has fit for work when claiming carer's allowance? If so what was the outcome? My partner is disabled and has to use a manual wheelchair he also needs personal care has to why I can't understand why the job centre would say I'm fit for work when my partner needs care. 

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community unfortunately I can't give you advice about Benefits but I can recommend that you have look around the benefits section and the coffee lounge section  of the forum. I would also suggest looking into a carers discount card and trying to get  direct payments for your husband. However this would have to be done through a social worker it can be paid for respite, hours for care either to yourself, a relative or a paid carer or care packages.  I have used direct payments myself hard to get but well worth it in the end, 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,102 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm a little confused by your question. You mention your partner having a health condition and you needing to care for them but then mention you were found fit for work yourself.

Do you have a health condition yourself the limits your capability for work?

As a carer you should not have any work commiments anyway. Does your UC include the carers element? Has you partner been through the work capability assessment theirself?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fran65
    Options
    Thank you we have a respite card I'm also registered with Lancashire carer's has to why I can't understand why this is happening I'm still working the site out so not found much regarding my problem yet. 
  • Fran65
    Options
    My partner has had a assessment and been told he is unfit to work. I have carer's allowance with element. I have arthritis and back problems but it seems these day's if you can move body part's you can work really don't understand the job centre. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    What was the decision on your partners WCA was he found to have LCW or LCWRA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Fran65
    Options
    He had a letter saying he doesn't have to work or look for work. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That could be either LCW or LCWRA. Please have a look at his journal to see exactly what that decision was. If it was LCWRA (Limited capability for work related activity) then because he already receives this even if you're found to have LCWRA by the Tribunal you will not be entitled to receive the extra money. Only one LCWRA element is allowed per claim.

As you're a carer claiming carers element you shouldn't have any work commiments anyway, which means you shouldn't be attending any appointments or being made to look for work. It just seems a lot of stress to go through as there's no gain anyway.
  • Fran65
    Options
    I agree with you and our job centre don't seem to like answering questions but I'm sure once the appeal people read my letters and see the proof of carer's allowance it will work itself out it's just stressful waiting. Not sure about any extra money I'm more bothered about my partner not being able to cope if I had to go to work. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Fran65 said:
    I'm more bothered about my partner not being able to cope if I had to go to work. 

I think you're misunderstanding what i'm trying to say. As you're claiming carers element then being a carer means you won't be forced into working or even looking for any work. What does your claimant commiments say?
  • Fran65
    Options
    I understand what you're saying I just don't understand why the job centre says I'm fit for work they don't answer this question unfortunately. Has to why iv had to write a letter stating that my partner needs me at home or with him when I take him out. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Your partner needing you at home isn't going to help your claim here. It's not about your partner, it's about you and your fitness to work.

If you're going to continue with this then you need to send evidence about your health condition, not your partners or about the help they need from you.

The reason why you don't have any work commiments is because you're a carer, so being fit for work isn't going to affect that.
  • Fran65
    Options
    I informed the job centre straight away and they seen all the evidence. I also told them when they said I had to have a mandatory review. I have sent the reason I'm unable to go to work or look for work along with a letter from my Gp plus a letter saying I'm a carer in receipt of carer's element so hopefully they will understand what the problem is I will update any outcome so people can see my outcome. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You haven't answered my question i asked here.

What does your claimant commiments say?
    You will need to have a look on your journal to see what it says.

• Fran65
    Options
    That I am fit for work because I can move around lift my arm's, walk, communicate with other's etc. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's not your claimant commiments. I realise you were found fit for work but because you're a carer claiming carers element then you do not have to look for work or work and i think you're missing the point i'm trying to make here.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    To find out what your commiments are please sign into your journal. Then click "home." From there, scroll down and click "my commiments" and it will tell you in there what is expected of you and that's your commiments.
  • Fran65
    Options
    It says that I would need to look for work attend the job centre and work with my work couch. Has to why I don't understand how they expected me to work when I'm a registered carer what do I do take my partner to work with me. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then that's not what it should say. There should be no need for you to go through the stress of an appeal for a work capability assessment for them to stop your requirement to attend the job centre.

Does your UC include the carers element (£168.81 per month) please have a look on your statements and it will tell you on there.
  • Fran65
    Options
    Carer's allowance doesn't show up on my journal I get £68.70 per week they said that I do get the carer's element but iv never had a statement that I know of. I had to ask about carer's element so I could put the information on my appeal letter. 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Do you have access to a journal? If so then your statements will appear on there every month. Log into your journal and click home. From there click payments and it will show all your statements on there. In your statements it will tell you what exactly is included with your UC and all the deductions.

Carers allowance is £69.70 per week but it's deducted in full from your UC entitlement. There should be the carers element included. Please have a look and tell me if it's included.

Carers allowance should show as a deduction on your statement.

Please also have a look to see if there's a LCWRA element included.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.