ESA and taking a pension as lump sum — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and taking a pension as lump sum

Options
Joanie18
Joanie18 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello there. My civil partner is on Contributory ESA and in the Support group. He also receives PIP. He has Primary Progressive MS. He is 62. I have been his full time Carer since 2018 and my only income is Carers allowance. We want to take one of his pensions as a lump sum and then put into a savings account.  I know if he took the pension monthly it would affect his ESA but does taking it as a lump sum?
I am new to Scope and have seen this question asked by searching but I guess I want to put my mind at rest. There is no official information I could find on GOV.uk, infact I struggled to find much information at all online.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A lump sum is classed as savings for mean tested benefits. Contributions based ESA is not means tested so any savings/capital will not affect it.

A weekly/monthly draw down of under £85 per week is also disregarded for contributions based benefits. For every £1 over that amount there's a 50p per week deduction.

Is he claiming the old contributons based or New style ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Joanie18
    Joanie18 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi there. He's claiming the old contributions based ESA. 
    He gets a small monthly pension from the employer who medically retired him (NHS) so he advises the DWP every April (as requested by them) on his pension increase (if it does increase) and they determine his ESA.
    Thank you for your information. I wanted to put both of our minds at rest. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you @Joanie18. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • dekidecay
    dekidecay Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Hi - re contributory ESA.....I wanted to ask if you are supposed to speak to the DWP when you start getting pension payments that are less than £85 per week? I ask because although I can see everywhere it says that <£85 does not affected contributory ESA BUT starting to receive pension payments does actually represent 'a change of circumstance'. As an autistic person I am probably taking things too literally but I can't find the actual answer to this anywhere and it's causing me anxiety. Similarly, do you talk to the DWP about a pension lump sum payment.... as again, this constitutes 'a change in circumstance'. We are constantly reminded that if we do not inform the DWP about 'changes in circumstance', we risk being fined/having benefits suspended etc So sorry for long post - basically all I'm asking is if I have to discuss the above changes with the DWP even when I know it will not directly affect my contributory ESA payments? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    dekidecay said:
    I wanted to ask if you are required to 'inform' the DWP, even when a pension payment is less than £85 per week? I can't find this information anywhere. Also, my understanding is that with Contributory ESA there is no requirement to inform the DWP regarding any lump sum payments - is this correct? Thank you!

If it's a weekly/monthly income then yes you will still need to inform them even if it's less than £85/week. If any part of your ESA is Income Related then it will be reduced £1 for £1.

You do not need to inform them about a lump sum. (assuming all of it is contributions based) if any part of it is Income Related then if the lump sum takes your total savings to more than £6,000 then you need to report it.

If you're claiming council tax reduction and the lump sum takes your savings to more than £6,000 you'll need to inform your local Authority. Some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement ends.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.