Attendance allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Attendance allowance

Options
jan100
jan100 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm Jan has anyone been turned down for attendance allowance, and what happened after, thanks

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jan100 and thanks for your query, I'm sorry to hear you've been turned down for Attendance Allowance. 

I'd encourage you to have a read on guidance around challenging the decision, if you disagree. Turn2Us has some information on the next steps, just use the link below:

How do I challenge an Attendance Allowance decision?

If you disagree with the decision made on your claim, you can ask for it to be looked at again, and/or appeal.

The time limits are strict, you will usually be given one month to dispute a decision, so it is important to seek advice and act quickly.

Further information on Challenges and complaints

Let us know if there's anything you're unsure about or if we can help you further, just ask :)  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,831 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think that link above is confusing. Although it mentions you can ask for the decision to be looked at again, it doesn't mention the words Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) For someone that doesn't understand the process could be very confused about this.

Jan100. If you've been refused you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) You should put this in writing stating why you think you should have been awarded. If the timescale is outside of the 1 month you can still request it but you'll need to state why you didn't do this within 1 month of the date of the decision. If they refuse you can then proceed to Tribunal. https://www.gov.uk/mandatory-reconsideration/how-to-ask-for-mandatory-reconsideration

I'd advise you to get some expert advice just to check that an award is possible. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.