Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Attendance Allowance Question from @Roddy

Options
Alex_Alumni
Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
@Roddy I'm posting this in our Benefits and financial support category, as you posted it on my wall by mistake, don't worry. Hopefully our members can help with your query below: 

"Hi everybody, I hope I'm posting this in the correct place...

I have a question about DWP benefits which I hope somebody may be able to help me with please. 

I'm a single man and I currently receive Universal Credit and the standard rate of PIP. I am due my first state pension payment in March, and I've notified UC about it. It is my understanding that I'll no longer be entiteld to PIP, but I'll probably(?) be entitiled to Attendance Allowance instead(?)

My question is: Will this be automatically be done by the DWP or do I have notify PIP and go through entire process again of making a claim for Attendance Allowance, which as most of us will know is nothing short of a fiasco even at the best of times (if it's the same procedure as claiming PIP is!)

Many Thanks, in advance."
Online Community Coordinator
Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your PIP will continue for as long as you remain entitled to it. Reaching state pension age doesn't change that or stop any PIP award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will get a final UC payment after for the UC period in which you reached pension age.

PIP continues.

If you live alone, nobody claims Carer's Allowance or Carer element of UC for looking after you, you should check entitlement to Pension Credit. The calculation would include an extra amount called a Severe Disability Premium. PC would top up your State Pension. 
    https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk

If you are renting and were getting help with rent in your UC then you need to now claim Housing Benefit from your local authority.

If you are claiming council Tax Reduction this will be reassessed to take account of your changed income but all be calculated under pension age rules.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    @Alex_Scope @poppy123456 @calcotti
    :)  Thank You Very Much Ladies  :)
    All of your advice is greatly appreciated. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you @Roddy :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    That's very kind of you @L-Volunteer. I dare say I'll probably need some more advice at some point. Most of the advice online seems to be contradictive to me, and isn't easy to understand. It's even more confusing when people say one thing and another tells you something else... I've been lied to before by so-called "helpful staff" at DWP. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Roddy said:
    I've been lied to before by so-called "helpful staff" at DWP. 

It’s important to remember that when you ring DWP you don’t actually speak to anyone from DWP. You’re speaking to someone from a call centre who have very little benefits knowledge. They are sat reading from a screen. They are not the ones you should be asking for benefits advice from because they are not benefits advisors. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.