University Tuition Fees — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

University Tuition Fees

Options
rules
rules Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I am a disabled person with multiple injuries which restrict physical mobility. I have T5 spinal injuries and have had several spinal operations and epidural pain injections to ease the pain. Since I had the initial injury in 1998, there is not a single day that I have lived without pain. Additionally, the left leg is partially paralysed. In 2009, I had another RTA and sustained ruptured right knee ligaments. 

However, irrespective of all the above challenges from the RTAs, over the past 20 years, I waited for the home office to process my application for indefinite leave to remain. In the midst of the pain, I worked to raise the financial requirements and daily upkeep as was not to recourse to public funds. Additionally, I started up skilling and returned to studies in 2014. I started at Return to study Pre-Access and progressed to HND level 5 in Health and social care. I passed several interviews and selected Birmingham City university as my firm choice. 

From August 2022, the Student Finance has been considering my application. I renewed the indefinite leave to remain in May 2021 and the results were received in July 2021. Once I received the renewal application, I qualified for support and I informed the SLC because they were holding the application.

On Tuesday 10 January, I received an email informing me that I can be supported with maintenance support but tuition fees cannot be supported. I made an appeal and I am waiting for the response.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.