Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

University Tuition Fees

Options
rules
rules Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I am a disabled person with multiple injuries which restrict physical mobility. I have T5 spinal injuries and have had several spinal operations and epidural pain injections to ease the pain. Since I had the initial injury in 1998, there is not a single day that I have lived without pain. Additionally, the left leg is partially paralysed. In 2009, I had another RTA and sustained ruptured right knee ligaments. 

However, irrespective of all the above challenges from the RTAs, over the past 20 years, I waited for the home office to process my application for indefinite leave to remain. In the midst of the pain, I worked to raise the financial requirements and daily upkeep as was not to recourse to public funds. Additionally, I started up skilling and returned to studies in 2014. I started at Return to study Pre-Access and progressed to HND level 5 in Health and social care. I passed several interviews and selected Birmingham City university as my firm choice. 

From August 2022, the Student Finance has been considering my application. I renewed the indefinite leave to remain in May 2021 and the results were received in July 2021. Once I received the renewal application, I qualified for support and I informed the SLC because they were holding the application.

On Tuesday 10 January, I received an email informing me that I can be supported with maintenance support but tuition fees cannot be supported. I made an appeal and I am waiting for the response.

Comments