Increase in rent help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Increase in rent help

Options
needhelp120
needhelp120 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hey guys, my landlord just called me to say that he wants to increase each of the tenants rent as he's struggling due to the COL. Technically, our tenancies were just renewed at the original amount a few months ago so I don't have to say yes legally, I think? Not sure what my rights are with random rent increase mid tenancy? However, everyone I live with has already agreed to the rent increase so I don't want to be the one causing problems and lose my room once the tenancy agreement ends because I didn't comply. Not sure what my rights are here either? He said that he would write out new tenancy agreements for all of us nonetheless. If I accept this and inform universal credit of the change in rent, how quickly will my UC payment be adjusted? I don't want to tell him I can commit to paying something immediately if it takes some time to come into affect. Also, are landlords allowed to just change rent price mid-tenancy, is this normal? Thanks for any advice. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,878 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can't help with the rent increases mid tenancy question, someone else maybe able to help with that.

Whether UC help with that increase will depend on how much local housing allowance you're entitled to. If you're a single person under the age of 35 then you'll be entitled to the shared rate of LHA unless you're currently receiving daily living PIP and then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. You can check the rates for your area here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

If there's a shortfall you will have to pay that yourself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @needhelp120 :) 

I'm sorry to hear that your landlord has increased your rent mid-tenancy. 

You might find it helpful to read Citizens Advice's page on this
    Your landlord can't just increase your rent whenever they like, or by any amount. They need to follow certain rules if they want you to pay more - these depend on the type of tenancy you have.

If you disagree with your rent increase the best thing you can do is talk to your landlord and try to reach an agreement to pay a lower rent.

If you can’t reach an agreement you can challenge the increase.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,878 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Done some research into this. A landlord can only increase your rent during a fixed term period if either of the following apply.

Your rent can only go up during your fixed term if you:

• agree to a new rent

• sign a new agreement

• have a rent review clause in your contract

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_increases/fixed_term_tenancy

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • needhelp120
    needhelp120 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for your help @poppy123456 and @Tori_Scope, I will dig into my contract and look if any such clause exists. My main worry is that I'm the only person on benefits that lives here so I don't want to be the odd one out or cause problems or be discriminated against because of it as I really do like where I live. I checked the shared housing rate for my area and technically even with the rent increase I'd actually still be within in shared allowance even though I'm entitled to the one bedroom allowance. Although I've not informed UC anyway that I have been awarded enchanced pip, not sure if they will know this automatically? I'm feeling like I should just accept it but check the new tenancy agreement for such clause to make sure it is not increased any further on a whim. Thanks for your help again.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can really hear how where you live is a factor @needhelp120, especially as you really like where you live. 

Good luck with your search for a clause. Please feel free to let us know how it goes and if you need any further support  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.