If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First time PIP assessment nerves

Options
georgia622
georgia622 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited January 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all! I’m going through the pip application process for the first time to get support as I can’t work due to my depression,ptsd and panic and anxiety disorder. I have a telephone appointment at the end of the month and I’m really worried about being able to communicate my conditions properly.

Sorry if this is a silly thing to ask but my anxiety is triggered by not knowing things so does anyone know how the process goes or what I can expect from the call?😊

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    First thing, tell the Assessor that you want to record the PIP Assessment. They will read out a statement, tell you what the recording can't be used for. They should say 'yes' to the recording. 

Regarding the Assessment itself, they go through the form ask questions for clarification and further information. So, an idea is to have the form in front of you for reminders. Go at your own pace, ask them to repeat the question if you need too.

There are several Youtube videos that better describe a PIP Telephone Assessment.    
  • georgia622
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    First thing, tell the Assessor that you want to record the PIP Assessment. They will read out a statement, tell you what the recording can't be used for. They should say 'yes' to the recording. 

Regarding the Assessment itself, they go through the form ask questions for clarification and further information. So, an idea is to have the form in front of you for reminders. Go at your own pace, ask them to repeat the question if you need too.

There are several Youtube videos that better describe a PIP Telephone Assessment.    
    Thank you for your help the whole thing can seem a bit intimidating so it’s rlly helpful to have an idea of what to expect :) 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They will not necessarily go through the form. They will not ask about things they are already clear about. The length of the assessment can be short or long. Make sure your equipment is plugged in or batteries charged and have some water to hand.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kitkat23
    kitkat23 Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes definitely have full charge on your phone.....I was phoned by an admin person about 30 mins prior to call to tell me the assessor was running late....so my assessment was about 45 mins late...so be prepared for the unexpected.....
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As i mentioned on another thread this evening, i always prefer to concentrate on the assessment itself, rather than a recording. A recording will not get you a PIP award.

Try not to answer any questions with just a yes or no and try to give as much detail as possible, of course don't tell your life story because their won't be time for that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can see you've already received some helpful advice above @Georgia622 :) Many people get anxious about the assessment, so you're certainly not alone in feeling this way. 

Are you now feeling a bit more confident about what to expect?

As you've mentioned living with a few mental health conditions, I was also wondering whether you're currently receiving any support for your mental health?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    tomm said:
     My PIP telephone assessment  was Recorded by them as they now offer audio recordings on request , but only some assessors have access to the phones with the app on them, that they have to use, and they send you a copy on CD ,A recording doesn't guarantee  they won't lie in their written report to the DWP (as DWP DM's  don't listen to the recordings) or that they will recommend you be given an award , but  it may be helpful at a tribunal hearing should it come to this
    Exactly that, a recording is an accurate record of the conversation. Assessors will always manipulate the Assessment, they are trained on this, I was asked 'Can you read?', I answered 'yes', that can easily be interpreted as 'he reads'.
  • georgia622
    Options
     Tori_Scope said:
    I can see you've already received some helpful advice above @Georgia622 :) Many people get anxious about the assessment, so you're certainly not alone in feeling this way. 

Are you now feeling a bit more confident about what to expect?

As you've mentioned living with a few mental health conditions, I was also wondering whether you're currently receiving any support for your mental health?
    Hi! Yeah definitely feeling better about it 🙂 it’s all new so still a bit scary haha, im supported by my gp and on a waiting list which is never ending it seems haha 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear you are feeling better about it @georgia622. I completely hear how being new means it is still a bit scary.

Though, it sounds positive that you are supported by your GP. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.