10 points but off to MR and then paper appeal I guess

TomGwill
TomGwill Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good afternoon all,

Again, what a lovely helpful forum this is. 

I received by award back and got 10 points on Daily Living, so standard rate. 0 for mobility. I believe that I have a strong case for enchanted daily living, and potentially standard mobility. I will send off a thorough MR next week, but I’m aware it’s unlikely to change it.

if I appeal it will be paper based, I won’t go to tribunal in person (due to anxiety and ADHD), I’d rather just not appeal if that were the case.

Some on here comment that in person appeals have a 70% win rate, whereas paper appeals just 8%. Is that really true, where do you get that info? As it seems rather unfair :(

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hello there @TomGwill and thanks for your post, I'm glad to hear you're finding the forum helpful :)

I believe there's a lower chance of a successful appeal when it's paper based because, a paper hearing means that the tribunal judge and other tribunal members will only consider the written evidence in private and you and your representative (if you have one) do not attend a hearing.

Turn2Us advises that y
    ou may have a better chance of winning your appeal if you choose an oral hearing and you attend the hearing, but obviously this isn't an option for everyone. It might be worth seeking a professional adviser and exploring whether a video call might be an option as opposed to in person.

You might like to search on Advice Local for more support with this, under 'welfare benefits'. If you have any other questions, please do ask :)

Let us know how everything goes with your MR too.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    It's known as Enhanced daily living, rather than enchanted.

Paper based Tribunal hearings have an extremely low success rate of between 5-8%. For this reason if it does get to Tribunal stage i advise you to attend or request a telephone hearing. The panel are extremely understanding and will want to know how your conditions affect you in your own words.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    That seems to be a very common autocorrect. It always amuses me and suggests that we need fairy dust to get an enhanced award (the system does sometimes make it seem as if you might).

OP, the reason hearings are so much more successful is because the tribunal has the chance to ask you questions to clarify anything they are unsure about from just looking at the paperwork. Many tribunal decisions specifically mention that the tribunal placed reliance on the testimony of the claimant.

Having said that paper appeals can be successful and the handful I have ever done have always been successful (but then most of them were fairly obviously incorrect).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    calcotti said:
    That seems to be a very common autocorrect. It always amuses me and suggests that we need fairy dust to get an enhanced award (the system does sometimes make it seem as if you might).

I did think of that after i posted but didn't return until now to add to my comment. It did make me laugh though. Some of those auto corrects are very funny.