Esa. How much a week would I be entitled for the support group ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa. How much a week would I be entitled for the support group ESA

Options
hello666
hello666 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi everyone, hope you're well.
I am on work related ESA ,I receive pip also. I claim for my husband and child. I had an assessment with a doctor today by phone,I have applied for the support group ESA ,I have had major surgeries, which has had an impact on me emotionally and physically. How long will it take to make a decision? If I was successful, how much a week would I be entitled for the support group ESA. Thank you  in advance ☺️ 😘 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    When you say you have applied for the Support Group do you mean that you have reported a deterioration in you health supported by a Fit Note? If that's where you are the next thing is taht you will be sent an ESA50 health form to complete and return with copies of any relevant evidence. You are then likely to need an assessment, the assessor will send a report to DWP and only then will DWP make a decision. 

Support Group is currently an extra £40.60/week. It should be backdated to when you reported the change.

I mention that you are claiming ESA for your husband and child. A child makes no difference to an ESA claim - are you claiming Child Tax Credits?

Does your husband claim any benefits himself? 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hello666
    Options
    Thank you, Yes there is a change in my health. I have already done the forms and been assessed today. I do receive child tax credits. My husband doesn't claim anything. Thank you for your reply. 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2023
    Options
    hello666 said:
    Thank you, Yes there is a change in my health. I have already done the forms and been assessed today. I do receive child tax credits. My husband doesn't claim anything. Thank you for your reply. 
    Does he work?

If your PIP includes the Daily Living part he could claim Carers Allowance if he looks after you for 35 hours per week for looking after you (unless he earns more than £132/week from work). The CA would be deducted from your ESA but the ESA would have a carer premium added to it. This would increase your joint income by £38.85/week.

If he claims CA he will get Class 1 NI credits towards his State Pension. As your husband on your ESA claim he doesn’t get any NI credits from that.

He will already be getting NI credits (Class 3) if he is the Child Benefit claimant and your child is below 12 years old.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hello666 said:
    I do receive child tax credits. My husband doesn't claim anything. 
    for the avoidance of doubt, your husband will be claiming tax credits with you as a couple. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hello666
    Options
    Yes we do claim child tax credits together, totally forgot about that .
  • hello666
    Options
    My husband doesn't work . I am on the lower rate of pip for both. I don't think you can get carer's allowance for lower rate,I'm not sure. My Son is 14 . Thank you 😊 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    hello666 said:
     I am on the lower rate of pip for both. I don't think you can get carer's allowance for lower rate,I'm not sure.
    There's only 2 ratesfor PIP, standard and Enhanced. There's no such thing as lower rate. For your partner to claim carers allowance you need any rate of daily living PIP, as advised here .
    calcotti said:

If your PIP includes the Daily Living part he could claim Carers Allowance if he looks after you for 35 hours per week for looking after you

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hello666
    Options
    I meant the standard rates. Thank you 😊 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2023
    Options
    He should definitely be claiming CA for looking after you if he provides 35 hours/week of care. He will then get NI credits towards his future pension. He can backdate a CA claim but 3 months (assuming you were getting PIP at that time) or, if you award was only made in the last three months but backdated to earlier he can get CA backdated to the date your PIP was awarded from.
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Overall you would be better off by £38.85/week as per my previous reply.

CA is taxable income and must be included when you do your Tax Credits renewal.
  • hello666
    Options
    Thanks Calcotti for your advice, I will look into Carer's allowance for my husband. Been great advice, thank you again. 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2023
    Options
    hello666 said:
    Thanks Calcotti for your advice, I will look into Carer's allowance for my husband. Been great advice, thank you again. 
    Run some numbers through a benefits calculator first to see how it all fits together
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk

• hello666
    Options
    I will do thank you 😊 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you been able to run the calculator yet @hello666 and, if so, how has it gone for you? We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • hello666
    Options
    I have run through the calculations, and works out I'd be better of if applying for Carer's allowance. Thank you so much 💓 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Claiming carers allowance would mean you'll be £38.85/week better off because the carers allowance will be deducted in full from your ESA. Carers allowance then pay your partner separately. It could take around 12 weeks, sometimes longer for a carers allowance decision.
  • hello666
    Options
    Thank you poppy 💓 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.