Waiting for PIP decision

gigi21
gigi21 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited January 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello
just wanting to ask about pip.. been 5 weeks since my assessment interview, got a txt on the 9th to say they have received the written report but I’ve heard nothing and I’m getting anxiety thinking about it.. also I’ve been on esa for 13 weeks but still only getting £77 a week is this normal?? Sorry but I’ve never been in this situation before and im clueless ..

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hello @gigi21 and thanks for posting, it's understandable you're feeling anxious. Usually to get a decision letter after an assessment, the wait is anywhere between 2-12 weeks, so I'm afraid I can't give you a more specific answer. 

How did you find the assessment?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    PIP decisions can take anything up to 12 weeks after the report was returned. Your ESA will only increase if you're placed into the Support Group. For this you'll need an assessment first as most people have them. Have you received the work capability assessment form yet. (ESA50)
  • gigi21
    Thank you so much for replying..Yes I’ve received and sent that back in December, I just assumed that after the initial 13 weeks you’d automatically get increased payments.. should I receive a confirmation letter for this? I’m awaiting an operation to have ribs removed as I have tumours that have penetrated them, I’m unable to sit up at all.. I’m hopeful to get both pip and esa but I’m unsure?
  • gigi21
    Tbh the assessment was long about 1.5 hours, she was really nice and understanding so hopefully it went well 
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community member Posts: 191 Empowering
    edited January 2023
    Hi, welcome to the community. How are you?  
    I understand how anxious it is, waiting for the decision letter. It is great that the assessor was understanding. 
    Feel free to update us, when you get the decision letter and I hope you get a good outcome.
  • gigi21
    Thanks so much and I absolutely will let you know x 
  • poppy123456
    gigi21 said:
    Thank you so much for replying..Yes I’ve received and sent that back in December, I just assumed that after the initial 13 weeks you’d automatically get increased payments.. should I receive a confirmation letter for this? I’m awaiting an operation to have ribs removed as I have tumours that have penetrated them, I’m unable to sit up at all.. I’m hopeful to get both pip and esa but I’m unsure?

The 13 weeks of lower payments doesn't automatically mean you'll receive more money from the 14th week of your claim.
    If you are receiving treatment for cancer by way of chemotherapy or radiotherapy
    For this to apply you must either be actually receiving it, or:you are likely to receive such treatment within 6 months; or you are recovering from such treatment; then you automatically qualify for Support Group. Otherwise you'll very likely need an assessment.
    Waiting times can be several months. If an assessment is needed you will be contacted. If you're then placed into the Support Group you'll receive money owed from week 14 of your claim.
  • gigi21
    Thank you x
    ive just looked and had my assessment for this in October and I filled it in and sent it back.. would I get a letter explaining which group I’d fall in to or would that be a text? I haven’t heard anything since that letter?
  • Alex_Alumni
    It's good to hear you thought the assessor was nice and understanding @gigi21, it really does make a difference doesn't it? :)  
  • gigi21
    Yes Alex, she was very pleasant and understanding and kept saying she really feels for me.. I just hope she felt enough to grant me pip 😬
  • Alex_Alumni
    That decision will be made by the decision maker @gigi21 but they will be using your assessor's report as a recommendation to help :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    gigi21 said:
    The ESA will only be increased once a decision has been made that you qualify for the Support Group.

I mention tumours - have you had any radiotherapy/chemotherapy? If so did you get the cancer page at the bak of the ESA50 completed?
  • gigi21
    Thank you so much for you helpful answers x
  • poppy123456
    gigi21 said:
    Thank you x
    ive just looked and had my assessment for this in October and I filled it in and sent it back..
    That would not have been your assessment, that sounds like the work capability assessment form ESA50.

You didn't answer calcotti's question above.
    calcotti said:
    I mention tumours - have you had any radiotherapy/chemotherapy? If so did you get the cancer page at the bak of the ESA50 completed?

• gigi21
    Sorry.. no I haven’t had chemo/radiotherapy.. I have blood tumours that haemorrhage causing extreme pain.. I’m currently on morphine 
  • _Luna_
    _Luna_ Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    It took a month from me getting the ‘we’ve received your report’ text to a decision being made. I really hope you have a positive outcome  :)
  • gigi21
    Thank you for your reply.. I shall let you know x
  • poppy123456
    gigi21 said:
    Sorry.. no I haven’t had chemo/radiotherapy..
    Then you will need to go through the assesment process which is likely to include an assessment. They are mostly by telephone but also can be by video call and face to face at an assessment centre.
  • gigi21
    Thank you for all your help x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    gigi21 said:
    Sorry.. no I haven’t had chemo/radiotherapy.. I have blood tumours that haemorrhage causing extreme pain.. I’m currently on morphine 
    I only asked because cancer patients having radiotherapy or chemotherapy normally are automatically put in the Support Group - but that isn’t going to apply to you.