Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Non dependants

Options
larlyb
larlyb Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi there,
I currently receive PIP daily living and motability at the enhanced rate. Am i right in thinking my housing benefit wont be affected if one of my adult sons moves in with me? Does anyone know what would happen if my other adult son moved in also? So id have 2 non dependants living with me. They both work. TIA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are correct that it won’t affect your housing benefit because you’re exempt from non dependent deductions because of your PIP award. It doesn’t matter how many non dependents live with you.

If you’re claiming single person discount for your council tax then you will lose this.

Do you claim any other benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support? If so and it includes the SDP then you will lose this unless any dependents that live with you either receive a disability benefit their self such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or they are registered blind. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • larlyb
    Options
    Poppy123456
    Thanks ever so much for answering so quickly.
    Good to know my rent wont be affected...one of my boys is on a zero hours contract and i didnt want the grief trying to make up the shortfall in rent on the occasions he hasnt worked. So it would just affect Council Tax then. Im on ESA income related...and dont claim SDP...tbh didnt know i could have.
    Youve been a great help. Thanks ☺️
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For SDP to apply then you must be claiming at least daily living PIP, which you do and have no other adults living with you, unless they either claim a qualifying disability benefit theirself (as mentioned above) or they are registered blind. No one must also be claiming either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.

Do you currently live alone or with a partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • larlyb
    Options
    Oh ok thanks. No i live alone.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Does anyone claim either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you?

If not then you'll be entitled to SDP. If your ESA is currently £135.35 per week (£270.70/fortnight) then you're correct it doesn't include the SDP.

You need to ring ESA and ask to claim this by filling out the IS10 over the phone. It can be paid from when you became entitled to it. However, if either of your son's live with you then entitlement will then end, unless either of these apply to them.
     either receive a disability benefit their self such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or they are registered blind. 

• larlyb
    Options
    Brilliant. Thanks for yr help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @larlyb. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • kiamarie
    kiamarie Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options

I have just been awarded enhanced rate daily living. I was getting lower daily living and I have a son who 14 who lives with me and a non dependent adult who 22 and workes. It didn't affect my rent but now it gone up will my no dependent have to pay rent now Thankyou

• poppy123456
    Options

There will be no changes because your PIP still includes daily living part, regardless of what rate.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.