home adaptations — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

home adaptations

Options
matt360
matt360 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
hello, my sibling has CP and is a wheelchair user. she is being cared for by my elderly parents who have both retired. if anything happened to my parents i worry what would happen to her, so id like to make home adaptations so that our home is accessable. if nothing else, it will be an easier place for them to visit. i live in leicestershire and just starting to do some adaptations myself, but if there are any links that might help, id be up for hearing about them

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It's great you are thinking of doing this I'm not certain but I think because your sister doesn't actually live with you currently you wouldn't be eligible for any financial support 

There is dfg disability facilities grant but as above doubt you would be eligible but have a read about it 
  • matt360
    matt360 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @matt360

Just to let you know, I've popped your post in our Aids, Adaptations and Equipment section to see if anyone else had to make similar housing adaptations :) I'm also going to tag @Richard_Scope as he has a lot of knowledge on CP.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I have had adaptions to make my little flat which is attached to my parents. At first they wouldn't put a wet room in because there was one already inside the house at the time but it's on the other side of the house. So I used to have to walk through in the middle of the night to go to the loo and showering was another problem as I had to go upstairs and I could only manage it weekly. I managed to save a bit from PIP to put towards it. How old is your sister? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.