PIP

MissCT8676
MissCT8676 Community member Posts: 79 Connected
Hi I’m claiming daily living PIP the erm lowest one but I don’t get any mobility? I’m just wondering the being able to walk 1-20metres does it mean before being in pain and having to stop? Or does it mean physically walking that far from a wheelchair etc? I’m in constant pain with my back and when I walk am in constant pain and breathlessness and I’m confused how I have got no mobility at all? Any help is great thank you 😊 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    This activity considers a claimant’s physical ability to move around without severe discomfort, such as breathlessness, pain or fatigue. This includes the ability to stand and then move up to 20 metres, up to 50 metres, up to 200 metres and over 200 metres.

So how far are you able to walk without pain before you need to stop. Can you walk that same distance again that day?

This activity should be judged in relation to a type of surface normally expected out of doors, such as pavements on the flat and includes the consideration of kerbs.

If the decision on your claim was made withint the past 13 months then you can challenge that by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) If you're outside the 1 month timescale you will need to give a reason why you didn't request it within the month. If they refuse then you just proceed to Tribunal.

Do be aware that any worsening of condition will not be taken into consideration.

• MissCT8676
    It’s been over a month and I didn’t say anything because I was just happy to get anything to be honest it’s such an awful process they first said I wasn’t entitled until I appealed, so I was just grateful but the more I think and read on I think I’m entitled to more, I’m in pain constant, I deffo struggle walking about 10 metres I’m in agony/breathless and this is a daily occurrence I have a zimmer frame my mam bought me but I’m 31 and feel ashamed so I just don’t really go anywhere I have to walk far xx
  • MissCT8676
    I also have a disability badge because walking is a struggle 
  • poppy123456
    If you've already been through the MR then you can proceed to Tribunal. If the MR decision was more than 1 month ago you will need to make sure you tell them why you didn't request it within the first month. It's unlikely that HMCTS will refuse a late appeal because you have 13 months. https://www.gov.uk/appeal-benefit-decision/submit-appeal

• MissCT8676
    Thank you so much!! I’ve done a tribunal appeal I wish I had done it sooner! I understand it needs to be strict but it’s such an awful feeling! Thank you is it just like the pip procedure can take months? 
  • poppy123456
    It can be several months but it does vary on each area. You can contact HMCTS and ask what the average waiting time is for your area and they will hopefully be able to give you some timescale but it will just be a guide.
  • MissCT8676
    Thank you fingers crossed 
  • poppy123456
    One other thing. I don't advise you to request a paper based hearing because they have a very low success rate of about 5-8%. Either telephone, video or appear in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The panel will always prefer you to tell them in your own words how your conditions affect you.
  • MissCT8676
    Oh gosh I think I just clicked I don’t want to attend **** is there anything I can do? 
  • poppy123456
    You can contact HMCTS and change it to attend.
  • MissCT8676
    I will do thanks
  • MissCT8676
    Will I just ring them?
  • poppy123456
    Yes or you can email them.
  • MissCT8676
    Hi sorry me again? Can I also take a friend who helps look after me?
  • poppy123456
    Yes you can take anyone with you, except children. You will need to answer all the questions yourself.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,714 Championing
    edited January 2023
    @MissCT8676 You can absolutely take your friend with you for support, yes. 

We're wishing you all the very best for a deserved outcome. And, don't worry - ask away if anything else enters your mind. Better to ask than be sat nattering I say  :)
  • MissCT8676
    Thank you I’ve found a contact place who can assist I’m waiting for them to call back such a nervous thing to go through 
  • MissCT8676
    @poppy123456 do you know the walk 1-20metre rule? Does it mean I can physically only walk this far or does it mean I can walk this far and further but I am in agony?