ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADHD

Options
Idiosyncraticb
Idiosyncraticb Community member Posts: 26 Connected
edited January 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
I will be brief 😂

at my last mental health appointment (undergoing reassessment) my mental health worker asked me if I had ever taken speed. Obviously over the years I have been through some very bad times and I also dabbled when I was around 12. She asked me how it affected me, so I told her the truth which is that as a child, it made me clean EVERYTHING top to bottom, but more recently as an adult it just levelled me out, I didn’t feel compelled to clean anything. 
She did mention that she was curious because ADHD is treated using amphetamines apparently? 
She didn’t actually clarify one way or the other whether based on my answer she would be considering looking into it. 
I’ve been given homework to look into C-PTSD because of a traumatic life overall. 

I’ve did a 12 week CACHE course a couple years back to educate myself because I thought that both myself and 2 of my children had something in the specific learning difficulties category so wanted to educate myself. 

You see there is something that runs thick through my family line that is not accounted for by either EUPD or C-PTSD and I’ve always been aware of it but once I got a diagnoses of EUPD, nobody has taken me seriously when I try to get it investigated. 

I am certain there is Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia too but those things require you to pay for an assessment that I simply cannot afford. 

Does anyone have some personal insight into ADHD? Should I wait to see what my mental health worker says or try again to get my GP to refer me? 

Thanks in advance 😊
Tagged:

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would say you would be better getting referred by your GP as I had experience of CAMS not wanting to put me on medication and the GP did straight away. Every experience is different though but I would suggest to anyone to go down that route. 
    Or another route you could look at is maybe looking into seeing if you can get it done privately or through a charity. 
  • Idiosyncraticb
    Options
    Thank you for your reply @durhamjaide2001,

Oh I definitely can’t pay to get it done privately! My mental health worker said if regards to Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia that they likely don’t do them for free because they can’t be cured. But then the same could be said for Autism and we aren’t expected to pay for those assessment. But anyhoo, I’ve searched for local charities but as areas goes, mine is lacking for pretty much everything. 

I will make another GP appointment though because I’ll be waiting around a month for it so will have plenty of time to ponder on what step are best to take. 

Thank you again 😊
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your welcome I knew private wasn't really an option with the cost of living crisis but I thought it wasn't fair to not put it in there. 
  • Idiosyncraticb
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Oh I know @durhamjaide2001 it’s okay 😊

I’d love to be able to pay for private because them getting paid would likely be a great incentive to do a thorough job 😂

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.