Contacting companies as a non-speaker — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contacting companies as a non-speaker

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,607 Pioneering

Does anyone else have difficulty contacting certain companies when speech is limited

I am currently trying to contact Premier Inn to modify a room booking – booked for 2 weeks time

However – their hotels do not have individual email addresses – the whole “CONTACT US” is down to a central phone number.

I have two email addresses that I have used in the past (4 years ago +) to contact them – both now bounce.

I have tried messaging them on Social media  but have received no response

How is a non-speaker supposed to contact them ?

And please don’t anyone suggest RelayUK – Last time I used that I was unable to even get the company to communicate using it – they were “too busy” to waste their time – so I was put off using it for life !

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Wibbles

I always email. I've had companies say only way to cancel is to call and I email with a short and concise complaint about discrimination and rights and they always change their mind. I've never had a company not.

If you can't find individual emails for them, I'd email a central contact one and ask. Explain the issue and request a direct email contact as a reasonable adjustment <3 I hope they sort it for you soon!! 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    "Hi once you have made a booking you do get the hotels contact number and mail address on your reservation email. However, can we please ask if there is a specific hotel you are asking for? James""

Is all they say

But the email contains NO email address to contact the hotel on
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Email a complaint to the Managing Director, just say, I have this disability, I've tried to resolve the issue, but the company hasn't got a facility to enable me to resolve it, can you please help me.  

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn
    simon.ewins@whitbread.com
  • Wibbles
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Email a complaint to the Managing Director, just say, I have this disability, I've tried to resolve the issue, but the company hasn't got a facility to enable me to resolve it, can you please help me.  

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn
    That's a good idea
    Tomorrow!
  • Wibbles
    Options
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn
    Done it and await the fallout 
  • rebel11
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn
    The fallout will be positive, if they do something positive for you (I have no doubt they will), it gives them an opportunity for company improvement.  
  • Wibbles
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn
    The fallout will be positive, if they do something positive for you (I have no doubt they will), it gives them an opportunity for company improvement.  

I have received a "message read" back from him - an hour ago - nothing else heard yet
  • rebel11
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn

I have received a "message read" back from him - an hour ago - nothing else heard yet
    That's cool, CEO's normally have an Executive Team who look into matters etc, so no doubt it will be passed on to them to sort out. Lets see.   

Bizarre, Premier Inn, just popped on the TV, whilst on your Premier Inn thread, it's a sign.   
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn

That's cool, CEO's normally have an Executive Team who look into matters etc, so no doubt it will be passed on to them to sort out. Lets see.   

Bizarre, Premier Inn, just popped on the TV, whilst on your Premier Inn thread, it's a sign.   
    He HAS passed it on to his team - and at the same time, I received a Facebook PM from their team - pure coincidence or what ?
  • rebel11
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn

He HAS passed it on to his team - and at the same time, I received a Facebook PM from their team - pure coincidence or what ?
    No coincidence, he wants it sorted out, looks like it's going to be sorted out. Well done.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:
    Wibbles said:
    rebel11 said:

Mr. Simon Ewins
    Managing Director
    Premier Inn

No coincidence, he wants it sorted out, looks like it's going to be sorted out. Well done.

It's been sorted and I have been given a special email to use in case I have any more queries 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update @Wibbles and well done @rebel11 on that genius tip.

It makes you think how others must struggle too when entire systems are set up for those who are verbal. There needs to be a rethink of who customers are, beyond the ableist norm. But, I'll get off my soap box! 

Glad for the positive outcome  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Wibbles
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Shame it cost so much - £275 for 2 nights without breakfast !
    Pre-covid - this used to cost us around £60 per night
    But we have no choice - accessible rooms are as rare as hens teeth in the area
  • rebel11
    Options
    Thanks for the update @Wibbles and well done @rebel11 on that genius tip.

It makes you think how others must struggle too when entire systems are set up for those who are verbal. There needs to be a rethink of who customers are, beyond the ableist norm. But, I'll get off my soap box! 

Glad for the positive outcome  :)
    Thank you, 'genius' that's questionable, but maybe a bit of 'lateral' thinking.  :)  
  • rebel11
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Shame it cost so much - £275 for 2 nights without breakfast !
    Pre-covid - this used to cost us around £60 per night
    But we have no choice - accessible rooms are as rare as hens teeth in the area

Well done, have a great time.  :)  

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,642 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to see you got it sorted.  :)

I have the same problem.  Have been very limited with speech for as long as I can remember.  But became almost completely non verbal just over a year ago.  It does feel like the whole world is set up for verbal communications.  Even the mental health services can't be accessed without a verbal telephone/Zoom triage!
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know how you feel with some speech difficulties i have will probably make me unable to work in a call centre. As well as this I'm less confident speaking on the phone.  However I'm glad you are sorted and glad to see others experiencing the same problems as you. 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 508 Pioneering
    Options
    There is a scheme called CAUK (Communication Access UK) https://communication-access.co.uk/ which offers (free!) training to companies and organisations in how to better provide for people with communication impairments.  It was originally run by Communication Matters  www.communicationmatters.org.uk and is now run by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.  Telling offending companies (esp their CEO!) about it is a very good way to give a positive and constructive response to them!

• Wibbles
    Options
    There is a scheme called CAUK (Communication Access UK) https://communication-access.co.uk/ which offers (free!) training to companies and organisations in how to better provide for people with communication impairments.  It was originally run by Communication Matters  www.communicationmatters.org.uk and is now run by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.  Telling offending companies (esp their CEO!) about it is a very good way to give a positive and constructive response to them!

Thanks I have forwarded the details to Simon Ewins (Whitbresd CEO) 
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    @Wibbles - I use https://www.ceoemail.com/ to look up the details of CEO's when I want to kick a companies butt!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.