If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contacting companies as a non-speaker

Options
2»

Comments

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,642 Pioneering
    Options
    I take it that Premier inns charge the same for accessible rooms as standard double rooms? 
    I booked a week ago and am being charged £285 for 2 nights
    If I had booked today this would have cost me £128 for a non accessible double room for 2 nights -, they have no accessible rooms vacant now! 
    Either they have dropped the price dramatically or something stinks! 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,672 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hotel prices often get cheaper as they get closer to the date.  They'd rather fill all the rooms at a lower cost than leave some empty.

Obviously if they all get booked early, due to a nearby event, then prices won't drop.  
  • Wibbles
    edited February 2023
    Options
    We had an excellent two nights in the Premier Inn with a yummy cooked breakfast both mornings
    Just one downside INTENTIONALLY BLOCKED MOBILE SIGNAL
    Leaving just one option - £5 per day high speed wireless internet
    or 100kbps limited free wireless
    So we went without access for 2 evenings

• john_taylor
    john_taylor Scope Member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    I’ve used that before but I seem to get there by making enquiries.
  • john_taylor
    Options
    I’d like to say Robert Dyas Customer services are extremely good by email. They've been very helpful.
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @Wibbles - I'm glad you eventually had a good experience at Premier Inn. I only just saw your thread but I will say Premier is a nightmare even for speaking people as their entire booking service operates on-line only.

I had a problem last year. I wanted to book a twin room for myself and daughter who is under 16. If i bought breakfast, i got a free breakfast for her.

But when i tried to book online, their system kept reverting to double bed rooms and i could not get the breakfasts on. Their system seemed to be set up to accept 2 people in one room as a couple only.

So i called them up and they said if they tried to do it from their end, it would be very expensive as the cheap bookings are only available online.

We ended up at Travelodge!!

So you see - Premier's website is a tricky one for anyone to navigate.

I did write a google or trip advisor review and, whether they acted on that i don't know, but i found it possible to book a twin room for a subsequent trip late last year.

They are definitely not set up for modifying/making bookings by phone though.

• Wibbles
    Options
    anisty said:
    @Wibbles - I'm glad you eventually had a good experience at Premier Inn. I only just saw your thread but I will say Premier is a nightmare even for speaking people as their entire booking service operates on-line only.

I had a problem last year. I wanted to book a twin room for myself and daughter who is under 16. If i bought breakfast, i got a free breakfast for her.

But when i tried to book online, their system kept reverting to double bed rooms and i could not get the breakfasts on. Their system seemed to be set up to accept 2 people in one room as a couple only.

So i called them up and they said if they tried to do it from their end, it would be very expensive as the cheap bookings are only available online.

We ended up at Travelodge!!

So you see - Premier's website is a tricky one for anyone to navigate.

I did write a google or trip advisor review and, whether they acted on that i don't know, but i found it possible to book a twin room for a subsequent trip late last year.

They are definitely not set up for modifying/making bookings by phone though.

I have to agree with you 
    It's a real shame because the hotel itself was faultless 
    The staff couldn't do enough and the breakfast was superb 
  • john_taylor
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Contact one of the directors: https://www.whitbread.co.uk/about-us/management/
    premier inn disability policy: https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/terms/disabled-access.html

One other thing if you want (if you don’t know.) Enter the date you want to stay and then click on room type and choose Accessible. 

They may ask for proof of disability when you book in. Also contact their disability team to ensure you get the help needed.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use a Teletext machine, so I don't have to speak to anyone plus you get put through quicker. Basically it a mini computer like device, you put your landline headset on the top and communicate via typing, it's meant for deaf People, government departments still provide the number for this service. I found one on a charity shop and use it when ringing DWP or HMRC. Some companies still use them.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Wibbles
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    I use a Teletext machine, so I don't have to speak to anyone plus you get put through quicker. Basically it a mini computer like device, you put your landline headset on the top and communicate via typing, it's meant for deaf People, government departments still provide the number for this service. I found one on a charity shop and use it when ringing DWP or HMRC. Some companies still use them.

I assume that you mean TELEX rather than TELETEXT, Which was the old TV Info system (now defunct) ?
  • john_taylor
    Options
    Its interesting they are still using this when video calls are commonly used. I thought it would be easier for some people to use signing on video than telex?
  • Wibbles
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Its interesting they are still using this when video calls are commonly used. I thought it would be easier for some people to use signing on video than telex?
    Telex is an ancient text based utility - it can't even handle video
    And video is useless when the user cannot speak 
    Your machine sounds like a text phone, I used to have one pre relay uk
    They are slow and annoying compared to relay uk 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Yes it's a TeleType machine, I'm from the US ( moved here 14 years ago, my dad is from the UK) so that what we called it, sorry I misspelled.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Video would probably work for people that can sign as long as it wasn't too glitchy.  (Fast internet speed).  I don't know what percentage of people with speech or hearing impairment can sign though.  I definitely can't.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Video would probably work for people that can sign as long as it wasn't too glitchy.  (Fast internet speed).  I don't know what percentage of people with speech or hearing impairment can sign though.  I definitely can't.
     Nor can i
    I guess that this is due to having the impairment later in life?? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:
     Nor can i
    Yes, same for me.  I could speak ok when younger so never learnt BSL.
  • Wibbles
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:
     Nor can i
    Yes, same for me.  I could speak ok when younger so never learnt BSL.
    The first half of my life, I was "normal", I had a head injury in 1989 when I was 26 and since then - my life changed so much....... 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    The company who appeared to have no knowledge at all of reasonable adjustments was an HR company called HEALTH MANAGEMENT LTD - who also deal with ESA assessments for DWP - I applied for ill health retirement from my local authority job (2 years ago) - my department supported this move all the way - but HML refused point blank to offer me an alternative communication method - telling me in an email "Dr xx WILL phone you tomorrow at 3pm" - They knew that I couldn't communicate verbally - I removed my phone number from my account to prevent this and sat back and waited and sure enough at 3pm the following day, the phone went...... I ignored it - they kept trying about 10 times and eventually gave up.
    I complained to my HR who sorted it out and I ended up with enhanced ill heath benefits 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.