Thinking of restarting my OU degree — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thinking of restarting my OU degree

Options
Fawn88
Fawn88 Scope Member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi Fawn88 here, I started an OU degree 9 years ago now and due to health reasons I had to stop. I just about scraped through the course back then and that was with help from my ex and father. Since then I have been diagnosed with ASD so the prospect of returning to education I find daunting. I have just been found unfit to work or do any work related activity, and would really love to get back to studying now my daughter is at school. 
It's just the thought of having to fill in all the forms for the finance is all anxiety inducing, I don't have a clue as to where to start.
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hey @Fawn88. Thank you for reaching out to us. I appreciate the courage it can take to reach out, especially when you are fairly new.

As an autistic person, can I ask if there's a particular thing about being diagnosed with ASD that makes it feel more daunting about returning to education? We all have our own strengths and areas for development.

Not least because I can hear that you would love to study. In terms of all the forms for finance, could you have some support with this and/or pace yourself? You don't have to tackle it all in one go! I know pacing is something I often find helpful.

Though, I can hear the forms are nevertheless anxiety-provoking for you. Is this related to DSA or Student Finance? I want to hear you as clearly as I can, especially support for each of these will differ.

Hopefully, there's something that can help reduce the anxiety and make it more manageable for you. You deserve to be able to access education if this is something you would love to do  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I quite fancy doing health and social care online someone inspired me in a members only event 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful idea @durhamjaide2001 :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Fin1
    Fin1 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Hello @ Fawn88 I studied at the open university, I know the pressures and anxiety that comes with it. I got my degree in the end, it was a long slog but I was determined to complete it. They actually do scholarships which can help you in paying for your course. Also I found the open university look after their disabled students well. If you want any help I will look into it. You can sign up for their magazine which gives you all the information and case studies of students that are and have been in your position. If your apprehensive about going into study they do OpenLean where you can do 8 to 20 hours study for free. This may help with getting the motivation. Please let me know if you need extra information on the open university. Take care, you can do it.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,627 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful idea @durhamjaide2001 :)
    Thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.