Carers Allowance when Self Employed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Allowance when Self Employed

boredcarer Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. I've been on Carers Allowance for 13+ years. I'm about to register as Self Employed on UC. I know I will still be entitled to Carers Allowance as I will be earning well under the threshold. But I was wondering what happens with carers Allowance when I tell them I am self employed. Will it stop while they look into it? And once it's all sorted does it just continue weekly as normal? 

I'm just going to be selling very low cost items I make on Etsy. I haven't made any money yet so don't have any finance records to show. But my understanding is I need to tell the relevant benefits when I start selling.

I feel like the easiest option is to stop claiming carers and get the money on UC instead, but I'm in Scotland so would lose the carers supplement. 

Thank you.  


  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hi there @boredcarer and thanks for your query, I had a quick look at the website and it looks like you'd only need to let them know if you start earning over £132 a week:

    You must report changes in circumstances if you’re claiming or have applied for Carer’s Allowance, for example if:

    • you change, start or leave your job
    • you start earning more than £132 a week
    • you stop being a carer
    • you stop providing at least 35 hours of care a week
    • you take a holiday or go into hospital - even if you arrange care while you’re away
    • the person you care for goes into hospital or takes a holiday
    As for what happens when you let them know about a change of circumstances, I'm not 100% sure, as it's not my area of expertise. Are you able to ask your local citizens advice at all?

    I hope this helps a little, but do ask if we've missed anything :)  
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.