Anyone with Osteoarthritis? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone with Osteoarthritis?

Options
Whiskey26
Whiskey26 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
Hi my name's Katherine, I'm new on here. Just wondering if there are any fellow sufferers of Osteoarthritis on here, who understand the pain and fatigue this condition causes?

Comments

• Fawn88
    Fawn88 Scope Member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    @Whiskey26 Hi my name's Fawn. I have Osteoarthritis in both of my hips. I'm always in pain and pretty much always fatigued so can understand it. 
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    Hi Fawn. Like you, my OA is also in both of my hips. Horrible isn't it! What medication are you taking and do you find it helps?  I also walk with a stick.
  • Fawn88
    Options
    Hi Katherine. Yes it is horrible. I only take Cuprofen as my gp wont give me anything strong due to having a daughter under the age of 10, And no it doesn't work. I am getting a mobility scooter due to the pain.
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    Oh right I see. I'm so sorry you have to suffer and can't have anything stronger. My GP has just changed my medication and I'm now on a months trial of Tramadol to see if it helps. So far, it's just made me sleepy, which is good at night, but not during the day! My daughters keep telling me to get a second hand scooter. They worry about my mental health, as I don't get out much at the moment, asi can't walk far.
  • Fawn88
    Options
    I think my GP has my best interests at heart.  It's just gotten so much painful since my daughter started school as I'm having to walk much more than when she was younger. Maybe as she gets older then I can start to think about going on to something much stronger. Yeah that's probably why my GP doesn't want to put me on them yet as they can make you drowsy. I'm pretty much a hermit as I only go out on the school runs and on Thursday's with my mum when  I do my shopping. But I also have autism which stops me going out due to anxiety an sensory overload. 
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    Yes it wouldn't be much good being sleepy and fuzzy headed when you're in charge of a 10 year old, I suppose. Fingers crossed you get out and about a bit more, if you get a scooter. I can sympathise with your anxiety, as my youngest daughter suffers with it. I do as well, to a certain extent, because if I need to go out anywhere, to the hairdressers, for example, ( even though I go everywhere in a taxi) I start to panic....will I fall, will I be e able to get in the car etc etc. For this very reason, like you, I'm also a bit of a hermit. My home is my safe place.
  • Fawn88
    Options
    I'm actually in charge of a 6 year old though some may say she has to act older than that. I feel rather sorry for her for having to put up with me sometimes, I cant take her out as much as id like and what with her being my only daughter it isnt much fun for her at home sometimes. My home is very much my safe place.
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    I'm so sorry Fawn, I've just read your first message and you said your daughter is under 10. I misread it and thought it said she is 10! I wouldn't worry too much about taking your daughter out, the most important thing is you're with her. I'm sure she understands within reason, that you're poorly. Whereabouts do you live?
  • Fawn88
    Options
    No harm done. I don't but it does worry me though. I live in Cambridgeshire.
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    Are you planning on getting a new or second hand mobility scooter? They seem very expensive, but such a good idea for getting out and about more.
  • Fawn88
    Options
    I'm getting a new one as then I know the battery is brand new. Yeah they are expensive but needs must for some independence.
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    That's a good point. You'll probably feel so much better for getting out and about, especially in the summer when the weather hopefully gets better. I'm going to have to get one eventually, as I don't think a hip replacement is on the cards yet.
  • Fawn88
    Options
    My GP said that I would require a hip replacement at some point. I then mentioned that I have bad feet so probably wouldn't help having it done. Yeah I can't wait for the warmer weather less stress on the joints then.
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    The thing is, I'm 58, so I don't know how long they'll leave me, before they say I need one. I'm terrified at the thought of an operation to be honest, but I can't live the rest of my life in pain. You're right, summer definitely makes a difference to our joints. I have hot water bottles on me all the time at the moment and I also have a heated overblanket which is cheap to run and lovely and warm to sit under when I watch TV.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can really hear how difficult finding that balance seems to be @Whiskey26 :( Glad to hear you have things that seem to help though, particularly heat!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Whiskey26
    Options
    Thanks so much. Yes, I have to confess that I would be lost without my hot water bottles!
  • MadCow1
    MadCow1 Community member Posts: 396 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,

I have OA in my hands,hips,knees and it looks like I have it in my one of my ankles too,as I had ultrasound scans on both of my ankles last week,it showed up some inflammation in my right ankle, which may be OA.

I am on codeine for the pain & paracetamol,but they hardly touch it.

I was on Naproxen a couple of years ago,but had to stop taking them,as it caused a stomach bleed and I became severely anaemic. So I just have to cope with the pain.

I use 2 crutches to walk,but due to the pain I rarely go out.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I have Osteoarthritis in a lot of my joints, mainly knees, hands, wrists and shoulders, big toe as well.  I'm 69 years old. 

I've had 6 joint surgeries so far and I'm waiting for a date to have my left knee replaced.  The 1st surgery was for my right knee 8 years ago. 

I only take paracetamol and codeine plus voltarol diclofenic gel.  I haven't been able to take any anti-inflammatories like Naproxen for about 7 years because they caused a duodenal stomach ulcer.

I try to limit the codeine to just one at bedtime because they make me feel sick and make me very constipated. 

Also opoids like codeine aren't really very effective against pain when taken long term.  Trying to not even take that one at bedtime so that when I am recovering from the knee replacement the codeine will help more with the pain.  

I don't need crutches and I do go out and about.  Moving around as much as possible is helpful for osteoarthritis but I really struggle with getting dressed and washed etc.  My hands and shoulders are very painful but there is nothing more surgery can do now.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I have suffered all of this, everything that has been said. Get a new mobility scooter. not a second hand one. Naproxen is the pits. I ended up on life support after using it, so try to avoid.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I have suffered all of this, everything that has been said. Get a new mobility scooter. not a second hand one. Naproxen is the pits. I ended up on life support after using it, so try to avoid.
    Yes I would agree with you about Naproxen or any other NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug).

I was on them for 20 years or so together with the proton pump inhibitor tablets to protect your stomach (Omeprazole and the like).

Still got a bad duodenal ulcer but luckily no excessive bleeding.  But both me and my GP think that the Naproxen and the PPI tablets completely upset my digestive system.  Plus all the intravenous antibiotics I've been given at every surgery. 

I now take a high strength probiotic everyday which helps my digestive problems enormously. 

However without the Naproxen the arthritis pain is very difficult to control.  So it's swings and roundabouts. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.