If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I’ve been awarded for PIP

Options
ilovechickpeas
ilovechickpeas Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Hi,

I’ve been awarded pip  - the standard rate for daily living and the standard rate  for mobility till December 2025, unfortunately, I don’t feel over the moon about it because the points I’ve been given are very low for some of the categories. I feel I should’ve been awarded enhanced for daily living. 

I’m in two minds right now, whether I should go through with an MR ,

my question is:  

if  I go forward with mandatory reconsideration for PIP does any benefit awarded for PIP  continue or do payments stop until the reconsideration is completed? 

And also,  what’s the risk of me losing the original award ? 

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and it often leads me to overthink and indecision, I’m not sure what to do to be honest. 

Is it worth the risk? should I just be grateful and appreciate the fact that I’ve been awarded for at least the standard rate.  

Your help and support is much appreciated. 

xxx
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    An exisiting award continues while you wait for the MR. The most likely outcome of the MR will be the decision remains the same because only 23% of decisions change in favour of the claimant. Though it has been known for points to be removed at this stage but it's rare.

Before requesting the MR you need to make sure you fully understand the PIP descriptors and what they mean and a lot of people don't. This may help but it's a lot to read. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

Or you can get some expert advice from an agency near you. Start here, https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aww congratulations I'm so proud that you have managed to receive PIP. However there is a few things to be aware off make sure you tell PIP if your condition disability changes, you get fill time payment or you are moving in somewhere eg a care home or independent living facility. Another thing to mention is to keep all your PIP post.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    However there is a few things to be aware off make sure you tell PIP if your condition disability changes,

That's a little misleading. Not all changes need to be reported. For example if someone has a worsening of condition then this doesn't automatically mean they can score more points for a higher award. Things like medication changes or a new diagnosis are not things that need to be reported.

you get fill time payment

I don't know what you mean by that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I meant fill time employment 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I meant fill time employment 

That's also not a change of circumstances that needs to be reported for PIP. People work and claim PIP without any problems and it's also not means tested. If however, the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you at your next review.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @haffyali How do you feel about pursuing a mandatory reconsideration based on Poppy's advice? I'd urge you to seek support from Advice Local to ease your anxiety levels and get the best possible personalised advice based on your condition[s] if you do go ahead. 

@durhamjaide2001 Thanks for offering your support to the OP here :) However, please be mindful of unintentionally giving misleading advice. These are the PIP change of circumstances that should be reported, and importantly with condition changes we'd always recommend speaking with a welfare advisor for expert input first. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • ilovechickpeas
    ilovechickpeas Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    Hello thank you for the advice, I really appreciate you guys.  I might consider going ahead with it.

Also, another query I have @poppy123456 @Cher_Scope  my medical condition is depression, anxiety disorder and insomnia.  I want to work part time only a few hours . However, when do I tell DWP(PIP) when I start working? Do I wait until my review or would I need to tell them straight away the same week i start working ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    haffyali said:
    Hello thank you for the advice, I really appreciate you guys.  I might consider going ahead with it.

Also, another query I have @poppy123456 @Cher_Scope  my medical condition is depression, anxiety disorder and insomnia.  I want to work part time only a few hours . However, when do I tell DWP(PIP) when I start working? Do I wait until my review or would I need to tell them straight away the same week i start working ? 

You do not need to tell PIP you're working if you start because it's not a change of circumstances that needs reporting. You can leave it until your review.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.