Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

HELP 3 HOUR PIP ASSESSMENT 🤯

Options
Sostressedaboutthis
Sostressedaboutthis Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited February 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good morning everyone, I’m new here only posted once.
So hi 👋 to everyone, hope all is well & your all having a good day today 😊

I'm looking for some support today, a bit of a hand hold to lift me out of a big fog of anxiety 😟 
I appreciate nobody has the answer to my questions so I’m just asking for your thoughts & experiences to see is this the norm?

I had my pip assessment yesterday the lady was nice and seemed understanding.
she was an OT in her previous life and was still in training with pip apparently.

However it took a soul destroying 3 hours long 😞 my none disabled friends don’t quite get just how utterly draining these things are if you’ve a multitude of health issues.
I am replaying (trying to) going over & over how it may have went but I’m still left so confused.
mand she said I don’t need to fill out the pip form at all as she has everything needed?

She did ask a lot of expected questions but also a lot of unexpected ones. And I’m torturing myself now for things I should have added 🙄 like I have a dog yes!
But I failed to explain I have him walked daily for me and oddly she didn’t ask.
There are so many what if’s but’s & maybe’s,
is this normal? Please can I have your take on this?
Thank you everyone in advance of any support you can give today to put my head back on track.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If you didn't complete the forms that could be why it was so in depth as the assessor had no into to go from as a starting point .

The assessor normally goes through the form and asks questions based on what you have written to get any further info required so in your case she was starting from scratch 

Everyone finds they have missed things out it's a normal reaction 
  • Sostressedaboutthis
    Options
    Hi Janer 
    Thanks for your reply, I totally understand about the form not being available to her but after I made my phone application I never received the form, so I had a painful time trying to get in touch as the phone lines were always so busy, it took 2 hours to get through.
    Anyway in between this they had evidence sent by my Gp and sent me the text to say you need this assessment. The fight back team helping me said to explain it was all booked without the form, but the lady said that as it’s been identified that I’m vunerable they decided to do the assessment instead.

i was still going to fill it in until she advised me not too as she said it wasn’t needed.
    and that it would be far too much and too stressful to do it all again in the form.
    Its so confusing and I just feel super anxious about it now 😞
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    As janer1967 says it probably due the form not filled out and them wanting a lot of info. Even when the form is filled in by the Claimant it can take anything from an hour to two hours, so don't read anything into the length. Distraction is your friend when you start thinking about it, music, call a friend, etc. Update when you have an update.    
  • lillybubblestiger
    lillybubblestiger Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Must be very confusing and upsetting for you 🥹 is this your first time applying ? 
    There are some very helpful places that can help you with replying or answering these demanding questions- I totally get it as I’m in the same situation, and have just finished filling out my form …. Which was totally brain frazzling 😵‍💫. Hang in there and please try not to worry, it’s hopefully done now. We just have to play the waiting game now🙄 you’re not alone.
    when I start to stress over it I take my Doctors lovely advice….. which is to really try to aim to do something you enjoy at least once a day👏.
    hope this helps.

• Sostressedaboutthis
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for the reply’s and thanks Lilly for the advise, I have meant to pop back on sooner but haven’t been well again 🙄 lots of pain and feeling genuinely rotten so please excuse the delay in replying.
    would you believe though I had yet another phone call from the assessor just randomly called to ask me more questions that she said she’d forgotten to ask 😩 that was a further hour of questioning 🤷‍♀️ So 4 long hours in total.
    There have been that many questions asked I haven’t been able to even recall half of them, but she did ask some things again. I told her again that my memory isn’t great and so a lot of the times dates I’m guessing at.

This was my first attempt for me yeh and after the second call I honestly have no doubt that I won’t be awarded the help.
    I completely understand people have to train and learn I do and she was a lovely person. Never rude or disrespectful but it just took such a long time I felt physically drained afterwards. I honestly did not expect it to be that long but it is what it is I guess.

so now I’m dreading the appeal process it’s just so difficult when your feeling so genuinely unwell.

good luck with yours, is this your first time too? 😊😊😊😊👋👍👍

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,481 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

This was my first attempt for me yeh and after the second call I honestly have no doubt that I won’t be awarded the help.

It's impossible to speculate anything at this stage. You didn't complete the forms so it's understandable that so many questions needed to be asked. It's not unusual for them to ring again if they have further questions.

Once the assessment report is returned to DWP a decision can take up to 12 weeks.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    When you start thinking about the PIP, the time it's taking, 'Distraction is your friend', do things you enjoy, listen to music, watch TV, bake, speak to a friend etc. 
  • Sostressedaboutthis
    Options
    Thanks everyone 🙏😊 you all so kind & it’s really helpful to just chat it over.
    I understand it’s going to be difficult as my form wasn’t filled in and it’s just the way it’s worked for me I think I just have so much riding on the decision.

It could literally make such a huge change to my life. I think everyone must feel the same so I can only sit and wait it out. It would be so much easier I guess if it was a quicker process and you didn’t have to wait for such a long time from start to finish it’s an awfully long process.
    But thanks again & good luck to anybody in my shoes 🤞 

Of course if & when I get any response I will pop by and let you all know 😊👍
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for updating everyone @Sostressedaboutthis, if you need anything in the meantime, you know where to find us. We're keeping our fingers crossed :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bleusunday
    bleusunday Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi i have a question about dogs and holidays ?  R u penalised for having dogs my son has a phepay dog also ive had my first holiday in many many years will i be queationed about this ( amd no i dint bungu jump lol) but diabled people r aloud holidays . Also i am worried about the same dog question as we also have a dog sitter they stay with and dog walker and my son walks them .. i rhink its aad we all have to worry like we cant have some quality of life and pets im just going to be homest in my interview coming up ans if it stops i will challene
  • Sostressedaboutthis
    Options
    Hey Bleu 
    gosh I am not 100% on the finer rules but I very much doubt they will penalise you for simply having a dog or taking a break.
    I have a dog but I made a point in my second call to note my son walks him as I can’t sadly.
    As for your holiday I’d maybe not go into detail about it unless your asked.
    I think what they would be looking at is how you managed on your trip, did you have help for how long, each day night? How did you manage you know with flights, carrying your bags, walking and so on!

If you say said “oh I had no problem on holiday I couldn’t wait, swimming, I was partying every night”.
    But then say on your form you struggle with all those things then they will obviously question it.
    so I’d say just think about things first consider your answers and how things affect you & make notes of any issues you had and any things you found helped so you can explain each issue.

Its horrible tbh the worry of it all I know that’s why I’m reaching out as Iv been the same & everyone was so helpful to me.
    im just waiting for a decision 🤦‍♂️😩 and it’s a long wait ha!
    good luck hope this helps x

• bleusunday
    bleusunday Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank u yes like u i feel alone and read so much negative stuff i feel paranoid but the truth with me i actaully was born poorly ive had a life of hospitals and ops so not sure why im worrying . Ive had four assesments ober the years and had to appeal  three and won i just cant cope woth the stress right now it makes me feel so ill that a conplete stranger can make a decision based on your life disabity and pain . I flagged up the holiday as ive neber had one and my partner took me amd looked after me really well . Def no dancing just resting haha i wish i could go dancing .. will keep u updated how i went . But on a postibe i have read the assesments now have upped there game they arnt like the old ones amd do listern and care .Amd i think its fair to try and rule out peolple that do scam . I would love to be normal and have a normal life but yep finding these pages r comforting im not alone with the worry as i wont cope without the help i get amd need x 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can completely hear how you struggle with stress and don't need it @bleusunday. Is there anything, in particular, that usually helps you to manage stress? 

Really positive to hear they aren't like the old ones and do listen and care. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.