Adult social services - many questions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult social services - many questions

headachey Community member Posts: 33 Connected
I'm very confused and fustrated by what information I'm able to find about adult social services.

So background, I've been referred to adult social services by DV worker and cpn due to difficulties maintaining my mental health and environment around me (aka messy house, forgetting to shower n eat,  help harming behaviours, stuff like that, fun I know...) Anyway. Everyone talks about how adult social services will be able to support me, but no one talks about what support they can offer, just tell me to await assessment and see. No one mentioned costs and I've just finally started receiving pip, I don't want to loose that. I value my independence a great deal, I worked hard to get to where I am know and can't loose what independence I've managed to carve out of my crumby life.
So had adult social services assessment and they told me I'd likely need to contribute to the costs of support even though on disability benefits (didn't answer when I asked if they'd mean loosing my pip?) And wouldn't explain what services they offer that I MIGHT have access too. They said they'll complete their assessment and let me know what services they can offer me. I'm fustrated cos the only difference in what information I've been given since the assessment is the added info of possible costs (which will require another (so sick of assessments without leading to action, been a year of assessment after assessment and no support in place yet just being moved from one service for assessment to another) separate assessment and don't know if it may make me loose my pip I've worked since July to get) but still no idea what what support they'll offer. People ask what support I want and I can't answer that cos I don't know what's offered outside of care home, which I don't need, and home help which I can't see how I'd need either - I can't make an informed decision if I don't have all the information.
So I'm stuck awaiting this assessment result and I asked "if I'm not happy with the services you offer am I able to say no to them?" (I'm not cognitively impaired or under the mental health act, I am legally the one making decisions for my care) and they hmmmed and ahhed but didn't give a clear n direct answer, even after I explained I'm sick of getting wishy washy answers that cause my already struggling mental health more burden and require clear concrete information. I know legally I'm allowed to say no to any service but when it comes to social my experience is that they don't take no without finding a way to force compliance (not dissimilar from my marriage really).
Google told me about in home carers, PAs and care homes, but thats for like higher needs than mine, I manage best when as independent as possible (I've already had my folks and then my husband controlling every aspect of my life to an abusive level, I can't have that from social care too (which is my experience of the social care system so far, lots of telling you what to do but very little of them actually doing anything helpful when you've jumped through their ever harder hoops, just making everything much harder). I need to be the one controling my life to be able to heal not anyone else.

So does anyone know the answers to the following questions:

- can I refuse to access an offered service if the cost I have to pay means I'd loose my pip?
- can adults social services force my compliance when I'm assessed and proved to not be cognitively impaired or unable to make informed decisions about my life and my care needs?
- what services does adult social care offer other than in-home carers and care homes?
- why doesn't anyone ever give a clear answers with the social care industry?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You will not lose your PIP.

    If they offer some help it’s entirely your decision whether you accept that help. You can say no. They can’t force you to do anything you don’t want to do. 

    If they offer some help and you accept they will do a financial assessment on you and this will determine the amount you need ti pay towards any help you receive. 

    They can offer anything from help at home, help to go outside, whether that’s shopping or just generally going out. Do anything you want help with. 

    It does help if you know what sort of help you require. 

    They can also decide that there’s no help they can offer. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,879 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @headachey

    I'm going to send you an email from [email protected] :)
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.