If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PIP entitlement?

Options
beth268
beth268 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, 

I’m 28 and have had hip dysplasia since birth I had an operation as a toddler but since 2021 it has really restricted my daily activities. I know from speaking to the orthopaedic consultant I am under the arthritis is getting progressively worse. I was thinking of applying for PIP last year as I struggle to dress my bottom half independently, shave my leg, or walk any distance without limping and being in constant pain. However I wanted to wait until I had received a round of hip injections which I had in November. Unfortunately this procedure was unsuccessful. I can ask for a hip replacement now but I have two young children to care for so having time to recover is impossible and I’m actually terrified of having to have the operation. 

Does anyone else have a similar condition that claims PIP? I understand that the amount varies depending on each claimant and their situation but I was just speculating what your thoughts may be if this fell under the standard or enhanced rate?

Thanks

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,174 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @beth268 - & welcome to the community. As far as PIP goes, it's not about any diagnosis, but rather how your disability affects your ability to do certain activities of daily living &/mobility 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability. See this mentioned at the end of this link:  https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2022.pdf
    You need 8 or more points for the standard rate, & 12 or more for the enhanced.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @beth268

I see Chiarieds gave you a great answer, I just wanted to pop on and say welcome to the community!

I am so sorry you are in so much pain, do you feel you are getting good support from the medical side of things? If you ever need to talk or vent, they really are a lovely bunch here :)<3
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello Beth268
    You are doing the correct thing and requesting advice Before you make your claim so you have time to get to understand what the different activities are for PIP and what each descriptor means for that activity. You are awarded points for each descriptor that applies to you for each activity that you cannot complete relaibly more than 50% of the time. The word RELIABLY is a very important word in PIP and you can find more information about that here https://pipinfo.net/issues/reliably You can complete the information for the form before you make the claim then you are not constrained to a set time to complete the form. So you can look on it this way you have got an advantage already because you have set yourself with a goal to get the information compiled and to get to understand what PIP is about before you start your claim.
    To understand on how to fill in the PIP2 form then you can use the advice on the CAB website and it will guide you through each activity on the PIP2 form and what you need to include for each activity. You can use the link here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form-pip/
    It is advised before you start your claim to keep a 7 to 10 day disability or mental health diary that will show you all of the problems you have each day according to the PIP activities and descriptors. You can get a list of the activities and the descriptors from this site https://pipinfo.net/#activities you can also use the links that Poppy has also posted. You can use your PIP disabiity diary as evidence to show the problems you have with the activities each day. The evidence can be sent in with your PIP2 Form if you think it would support your claim.
    If you have assistance from friends or family then you can ask them to write you a supporting letter to show what help you need and why you need that help. You need need to ask them to put in there supporting letter how then know you, how often each week they see you, how they help you and why they help you. The WHY they help you is the important part because it would backup and support what you have written on your PIP2 form.
    It is also important to understand that PIP is not about the help you get but it is the help you need that is important. So if you need help more than 50% of the time and you do not get help then you need to explain what help you need but do not recieve.
    When you complete your form first type it out on your computer if you can or write it out on a lined pad if you cannot use a computer. Save all of the information in a folder on your PC and you can use this as your claim file folder so you have all the information in one place.
    You are being assessed as needing help for the majority of times. When writing out your evidence try not use the words "sometimes" "could" "might" "it can" because those words mean that your condition or problem is not constant and varies. If that is the case and your condition does vary  then it is good to say your condition varies and exlain how many days your sypmtoms give you restrictions doing the PIP activities or if your condition is worse in certain times of the day. This is where a 7-10 day disability or mental health diary would be good supporting evidence to show that your condition does vary and you do need help and assistance more than 50% of the time. If you have problems for more than 50% of the time then that means you have problems completing that activity and you should score points but remember to keep to the activity descriptors.
    If you stil need further help and advice then you can search here for your local welfare adviser. Put in your postcode here and it will list all of the wealfare agencies in your area.  https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits they will tak with you about your situation and they will advise you further if you qualify for PIP.
    Remember PIP is about how you cannot do the 12 activities Safely, Repeatedly, In a timely manor or to an acceptable standard. You need to be able to do ALL four of those criterias to be able to do the PIP activities. For example if it is unsafe or if you cannot repeatedly do the activity thoughout the day because of pain or fatigue then you cannot do that activity and you should score points. Remember keep to the activity descriptors.
    Kind Regards
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.