Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024


Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

LCWRA Back Payment

Options
blitzga
blitzga Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, 
  I just received a message in my UC Journal that I’ve been awarded LCWRA and no longer need to supply fit notes.

I’ve been reading through the posts that have been posted here previously so I’m a little confused.

I’m wonder if I’m due back pay or not:
“ Your extra LCWRA payment will not include any back payment for the relevant period.”

this makes me think I’m not, but I reported my health change/sick note on 13th June 2022, I do have sick notes prior to then but as I was getting SSP and wasn’t aware of LCWRA or anything, I didn’t notify them until the SSP ran out. Which is fine, but I read that Payments start from the 4th month? June/July July/August August/September September/October - I should be backdated to November, if I understood what was posted previously?

Thanks for your time.
Tagged:

Comments

  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The ‘relevant period’ is three months after you reported your health condition. If your reported in June 2022 you are due to be paid LCWRA from October or November depending on whites dates your monthly payments cover.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • blitzga
    blitzga Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    calcotti said:
    The ‘relevant period’ is three months after you reported your health condition. If your reported in June 2022 you are due to be paid LCWRA from October or November depending on whites dates your monthly payments cover.
    Thanks for the response. 

    Is the quote I posted from the letter indicating I’m not entitled to back pay or should I wait a few weeks before answering questions about it?
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 762 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Normally a few weeks after being awarded you'll get a message in your journal or someone will usually call you to confirm you have a backpayment due. Mine was just over a month later from being awarded that they sent me a journal letter about a backpayment due.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.


  • blitzga
    blitzga Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    rubin16 said:
    Normally a few weeks after being awarded you'll get a message in your journal or someone will usually call you to confirm you have a backpayment due. Mine was just over a month later from being awarded that they sent me a journal letter about a backpayment due.
    Thankyou for your time, I’ll wait a bit before I start to question then. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    blitzga said: Is the quote I posted from the letter indicating I’m not entitled to back pay or should I wait a few weeks before answering questions about it?
    No it doesn't say that. It says
    blitzga said:
    Hi, 
      I just received a message in my UC Journal that I’ve been awarded LCWRA and no longer need to supply fit notes.

    I’ve been reading through the posts that have been posted here previously so I’m a little confused.

    I’m wonder if I’m due back pay or not:
    “ Your extra LCWRA payment will not include any back payment for the relevant period.”
    As Explained in my first reply 'the relevant period' means 
    calcotti said:
    The ‘relevant period’ is three months after you reported your health condition. 
    You are entitled after that period, as advised.

    However, as rubin16 says, you need to give them time to calculate what is owed. They have to recalculate your entitlement for each month since you claimed, add it all up and then deduct what they have already paid to come up with the answer. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • blitzga
    blitzga Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    calcotti said:
    blitzga said: Is the quote I posted from the letter indicating I’m not entitled to back pay or should I wait a few weeks before answering questions about it?
    No it doesn't say that. It says
    blitzga said:
    Hi, 
      I just received a message in my UC Journal that I’ve been awarded LCWRA and no longer need to supply fit notes.

    I’ve been reading through the posts that have been posted here previously so I’m a little confused.

    I’m wonder if I’m due back pay or not:
    “ Your extra LCWRA payment will not include any back payment for the relevant period.”
    As Explained in my first reply 'the relevant period' means 
    calcotti said:
    The ‘relevant period’ is three months after you reported your health condition. 
    You are entitled after that period, as advised.

    However, as rubin16 says, you need to give them time to calculate what is owed. They have to recalculate your entitlement for each month since you claimed, add it all up and then deduct what they have already paid to come up with the answer. 
    Thanks again for the response, sorry for the misunderstanding. The “relevant period” was throwing me off and after reading the forums I was just expecting the worst. 

    Thanks again.
  • RJPar
    RJPar Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Options
    When does the  “relevant period” start from....... Your first sick note or the date you completed work assessment questionnaire or the date LCWRA awarded? & Why is there a 3 month waiting period? 
  • blitzga
    blitzga Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    RJPar said:
    When does the  “relevant period” start from....... Your first sick note or the date you completed work assessment questionnaire or the date LCWRA awarded? & Why is there a 3 month waiting period? 
    My period started from my first sick note, you usually have to be off sick around 4 months before UC puts through the assessment. 

    Wasn’t sure when the period was either but from what DWP told me in my letter it started from my first sick note I submitted in June.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    RJPar said:
    When does the  “relevant period” start from....... Your first sick note or the date you completed work assessment questionnaire or the date LCWRA awarded? & Why is there a 3 month waiting period? 
    The relevant period is three months follow the date the health condition was reported provided a Fit Note was made within 7 days.

    The reason there is a waiting period is because it is what the law says. It matches the waiting period reflects the same as required for ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • RJPar
    RJPar Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Options
    @blitzga thanks for your input, it all becomes quite stressful, with everything else that is going on + the boredom factor & to much time for thinking.
  • blitzga
    blitzga Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    RJPar said:
    @blitzga thanks for your input, it all becomes quite stressful, with everything else that is going on + the boredom factor & to much time for thinking.
    Yeah definitely try to take your mind off things, my experience was completely opposite to the horror stories I read.

    24 hours after my assessment I was told I’ve been granted it, then I had my back pay + updated pay 2 weeks after, you might have a similar experience.


  • RJPar
    RJPar Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Options
    @calcotti excellent information thank you. So I first went to UC appointment 19/01/22 they asked for a sick note, I obtained one from the hospital they dated it from the day I had my operation 24/11/22 for a period of six weeks, my next sick note was for 3 months, that's when i received the questionnaire on work capability completed & returned by 11 Jan, letter in my journal on 11 Feb I had been awarded LCWRA 
  • RJPar
    RJPar Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Options
    @blitzga

    I have no horror story, I can't praise the NHS or UC more highly, UC were so understanding, sympathetic yet extremely helpful & professional, I hadn't got a clue how to proceed with making a claim, mine was a very difficult case, as I had been out of the country for a while, no treatment where I was, I had lost so much weight I could not even walk 😭.... Now I can walk with difficulty at times but heading in the right direction 🙏
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    RJPar said:
    @calcotti excellent information thank you. So I first went to UC appointment 19/01/22 they asked for a sick note, I obtained one from the hospital they dated it from the day I had my operation 24/11/22 for a period of six weeks, my next sick note was for 3 months, that's when i received the questionnaire on work capability completed & returned by 11 Jan, letter in my journal on 11 Feb I had been awarded LCWRA 
    As I advised on your thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/102408/declared-lcwra-but-not-received-extra-amount#latest
    Your waiting period will be Dec to March and first payment will be 25th March. No LCWRA element is owed. 
    Your whole process was extremely quick, lots of people are waiting a lot longer. 
    Glad to hear you’ve had support with the process. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?


Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.